Colombian army launches attack on ELN rebels ahead of peace talks
The Colombian army says it has killed a rebel from the National Liberation Army, or ELN, and arrested four others in the northern province of Casanare.
The attack was launched 10 days before the beginning of peace talks between the government and the Marxist rebels.
There is no indication that either side will declare a ceasefire until considerable progress has been made.
During talks with another rebel group, the Farc, the government refused to stop fighting until a deal was done.
Twenty-four ELN rebels agreed to demobilise in Casanare and rejoin civil society, Colombia's Defence Ministry... read more
- 10:34 Kelly Brook shows off her enviable curves in skintight high-waisted...
- 10:34 Emma Watson oozes understated elegance in a fitted cream tulip...
- 10:34 Founder of India's $4 smartphone firm arrested on allegations of fraud
- 10:34 Emily Ratajkowski flashes a peek of her bra in racy sheer lace top...
- 10:34 First Bus donates around £9,000 worth of advertising space across...
- 10:34 Business tycoon Michelle Mone announces her RETIREMENT
- 10:34 Students rush for places at Doncaster’s HS2 college
- 10:34 Myanmar Buddhists decry Thai government's temple crackdown
- 10:34 Merkel's conservatives seen ahead of Social Democrats in poll
- 10:34 Council’s booze approvals criticised by residents
- 10:33 Huddersfield lecturer exposes Hollywood's $2 million average gender...
- 10:33 Mirfield's Sir Patrick Stewart reveals he thought he was...
- 10:33 Mark Lawrenson on Chelsea v Swansea: This battering ram will decide...
- 10:32 Moment huge great white shark stalks a surfer and then charges at him
- 10:32 Tory ministers have rewritten the law to deny increased disability...
- 10:32 Storm Doris: Watch pilots show incredible skills to land planes in...
- 10:31 Housing plans and holiday lodges go before committee
- 10:31 Proposed closure of school causes worry
- 10:31 Turkey coup: 136 diplomats and relatives seek Germany asylum
- 10:30 Coastguard warning over 'wave dodgers'
- 10:30 Alzheimer’s disease might be caused by eating too much sugar
- 10:30 Slideshow: Crocus walk makes for colourful scenes
- 10:29 Conor McGregor shares snap of boxing session as UFC lightweight...
- 10:28 Apprentice Joe shows his skills in regional electrical competition
- 10:28 Wary of divided loyalties, a Baltic state reaches out to its Russians
- 10:28 Doctor Who spin off Class 'axed after just ONE series' due to poor...
- 10:28 Israel denies work permit to Human Right Watch researcher
- 10:28 Loose Women viewers ‘DISGUSTED’ as Janet Street-Porter calls...
- 10:28 British media have 'demonised' Ukip and made me a virtual prisoner,...
- 10:27 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: This is why I dropped Emre Can