Colombia: Public reject peace deal to end 52-year civil war
Colombians narrowly vote against peace between the government and Farc
“HATE won” in Colombia on Sunday as the public narrowly rejected a peace deal with the rebel Farc group, dashing hopes of an end to the country’s 52-year civil war.
With 99.94 per cent of the vote counted on Monday, the “No” camp had 50.2 per cent to 49.7 per cent for “Yes” — a difference of 59,000 votes out of 13 million ballots cast.
Supporters of the peace campaign wept as the result came in, while the rejectionists led by former president Alvaro Uribe celebrated.
Speaking from his ranch outside Medellin — where the... read more
- 11:50 Water tower transformed into luxury home is selling for £1.5 million
- 11:48 Birmingham German Market 2018 dates have been revealed
- 11:48 Not a football fan? Here is how best to AVOID the tournament...
- 11:48 Dare to dream: Eleven things that would definitely happen if...
- 11:47 Live as police search house in west Hull
- 11:46 CCTV APPEAL: Fake £50 note warning for residents in Garstang
- 11:45 CCTV APPEAL: Fake £50 warning for residents in Garstang
- 11:45 Letters - June 19, 2018
- 11:44 Young people urged to stay in the Lake District
- 11:43 University open days: everything you always wanted to know about X
- 11:42 Driver left with serious injuries after collision with lorries on...
- 11:42 Pair of candlesticks stolen from a church in Stanford-on-Avon
- 11:41 Four in five of us have ‘no clue’ when it comes to taking vitamins
- 11:41 H&M is launching a snazzy lingerie collaboration
- 11:39 Row as Mansfield District council pays thousands to property...
- 11:39 Nigel Slater’s courgettes and tagliatelle recipe
- 11:39 Microbead ban: Here are some natural alternatives
- 11:39 Supermarket chain plans to demolish neighbouring Whitefied shop to...
- 11:39 Fire breaks out above Ulverston town centre business
- 11:38 Watch: Ripon's Got Talent acts find out they're through to the final
- 11:38 New fire and ambulance station helping to save lives in Sleaford
- 11:38 Body of man found dead in river is identified and named after...
- 11:38 Jobs to go at Poundworld head office in Normanton
- 11:38 Buxton woman transformed into singing sensation Sia for Stars in...
- 11:37 Cambridge students finish the year stumbling home after...
- 11:37 Manager’s delight at pub’s new look
- 11:37 Anti-stalking: Cheshire Police and Suzy Lamplugh Trust launch unit
- 11:36 Chelsea stars fearing Eden Hazard will quit for Real Madrid...
- 11:36 Outfitter toasts £100k whisky hire contract
- 11:36 Ryan Giggs sends message to Gareth Bale over Manchester...