Colombia and ELN rebels announce historic peace talks
The Colombian government and the country's second largest rebel group, the National Liberation Army (ELN), have announced the beginning of formal peace negotiations later this month.
The talks will be launched in Ecuador's capital, Quito, on 27 October.
President Juan Manuel Santos urged both sides to be realistic in their demands, saying: "Time is the biggest enemy."
Mr Santos is trying to salvage a peace accord with Farc rebels, which was rejected by voters earlier this month.
Informal talks with the ELN began three years ago, he said.
The announcement of an "open... read more
- 08:03 Your complete guide to 25 events this half-term
- 08:03 11 lost nightclubs of the 90s and 2000s
- 08:03 Top 10 streets for crime in North East Lincolnshire
- 08:03 Grieving families outraged at council decision to remove mementos...
- 08:03 Grimsby Town director John Fenty wants Paul Hurst to stay at the club
- 08:00 Andrew Percy: Now I'm the new Parks Minister!
- 08:00 Four In A Bed featuring Scunthorpe hotel to be aired on Channel 4
- 08:00 Your complete guide to 24 events this half-term
- 08:00 Scunthorpe United midfielder Josh Morris looks at different way of...
- 08:00 Perspective needed for Scunthorpe United after Oldham Athletic defeat
- 08:00 15 homes in North Lincolnshire that have been reduced the most
- 08:00 Ambulance service apologises for hour-long 999 delay after...
- 08:00 Derbyshire scientist creates test to predict likelihood of...
- 08:00 Town centre post office to shut before Christmas
- 08:00 Warwickshire duo claim titles at Horse of the Year show
- 08:00 Royal Mail reveals Christmas postage cut off dates - get organised...
- 07:59 Blackpool Victoria Hospital’s ‘thank-ewe’ to heart surgery patient
- 07:55 Cork city guide: what to see, plus the best bars, hotels and...
- 07:54 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte reveals Paul Pogba dreamed of returning...
- 07:54 Grimsby family celebrate latest addition - making them five...
- 07:54 Chelsea attacker Eden Hazard will lead revenge charge against...
- 07:54 Miracle baby born with half a heart is family's best Christmas present
- 07:53 Big charity total raised by store staff
- 07:49 Inquiry finds Syrian government forces responsible for third gas...
- 07:49 Iraqi army tries to take main Christian town near Mosul
- 07:47 Take note of these M56 closures if you're jetting off on holiday
- 07:45 Opinion column – Knight’s Days with Sir Greg Knight MP
- 07:42 Triple tragedy spurs on granddaughter's staggering £3.5k fundraiser
- 07:39 Opinion column – Knight’s Days with Sir Greg Knight MP
- 07:38 Boy, 13, admits child rape after watching ‘gay porn’