Coloccini: Benitez improved Newcastle United - but it was too late
0 Have your say Fabricio Coloccini says Rafa Benitez changed Newcastle United for the better – before he ran out of time.
The club was relegated this week without kicking a ball.
Sunderland’s 3-0 win over Everton on Wednesday night condemned Newcastle to the Championship.
Benitez succeeded the sacked Steve McClaren early March, but fans had called for a managerial change long before then given the club’s dismal form.
And the 56-year-old had just 10 games – two more than Alan Shearer was given the last time United went down in 2009 – in which to turn United’s fortunes around.
Fans now fear... read more
- 13:32 Police on the hunt after woman was sexually assaulted in Preston
- 13:31 Bid for 325 new homes in Wigan moves a step closer
- 13:31 Shock at sudden death of popular ex-Wigan vicar
- 13:31 Turns out that caring about the environment makes you more attractive
- 13:29 SNP axes key oil and gas industry measure
- 13:28 Chester-born Daniel Craig to be a father again at 50
- 13:28 Are you ready to rock?
- 13:28 Record Store Day: where to celebrate and pick up exclusive vinyl...
- 13:27 Passengers angry after new Melton bus service cuts announced
- 13:27 County councillor backs verge plan
- 13:27 Watch dangerous driver race through streets of Rugby
- 13:26 From seagulls to Bardot tops: this week’s fashion trends
- 13:26 What I wore this week: the new day dress
- 13:25 City Tastes & Tipples: Quality Qubana is banking on a bright future
- 13:25 Man sought by Cumbria Police in connection with arson attack on car
- 13:24 City Tastes & Tipples: Quality Qubana is banking on a bright future
- 13:23 VIDEO: CCTV footage shows group steal two motorbikes
- 13:22 PSG 'suspicious' of star man Neymar planning summer exit with Real...
- 13:22 Premier League's quickest players revealed... Mo Salah only ranks...
- 13:22 Man arrested over stabbing in Sheffield house
- 13:20 This many motorists think that breaking the speed limits is acceptable
- 13:20 Fylde coast woman in ‘constant discomfort’ Commons hears during...
- 13:18 American Apparel returns as an 'inclusive' online retailer
- 13:17 Co-op praises police for work in jailing ATM explosion gang who...
- 13:16 Friends make plans for gala celebrations
- 13:16 Charles 'to be next Commonwealth head'
- 13:15 Can you break a car window if a child is locked inside on a hot day?
- 13:14 Rachel Weisz reveals she's pregnant at 48 as star confirms she's...
- 13:13 Chester FC fans' jury: Board has 'critical choice' to make over new...
- 13:13 How cyclists plan to remember Leicester man who was murdered by...