Collapsing mushroom sector exposes flaws in Ireland's Brexit response
Ireland's mushroom industry provides a stark warning to the rest of the country's economy about the damage a sustained weakness in sterling could inflict on Irish exporters, the sector most vulnerable to the impact of Brexit.
Mushroom growers rely on the United Kingdom for 80 percent of sales and have been losing money since Britain's vote to quit the European Union in June sent sterling tumbling. It has now lost 19 percent of its value against the euro, wiping out the Irish producers' profit margins.
Five of Ireland's 60 mushroom farms have so far gone out of business since the referendum,... read more
- 08:38 Nearly 50 under 18-year-olds arrested for drink-driving across...
- 08:36 Liverpool could battle Man United and Arsenal for this...
- 08:36 Top pundit: This is why Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is so good
- 08:36 Ex-Premier League referee: This Man United star should have been...
- 08:34 Monday interview: Nick Jefferies, chief executive of Acal
- 08:33 Preston man sets himself on fire in horror wood burner accident
- 08:33 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:32 Conor McGregor: I know I can knock out Floyd Mayweather!
- 08:32 Jurgen Klopp will look to buy this player in January - pundit
- 08:32 WATCH: Collision closes Cadley Lane in Swadlincote
- 08:30 The Yorkshire Ripper and Ian Huntley are really enjoying Planet...
- 08:30 Four-way lights are installed at Telford's Shawbirch roundabout
- 08:29 PANTO REVIEW: Peter Pan, Mansfield Palace Theatre
- 08:29 Leyland bicep biter admits attacking relative
- 08:27 Plan for continental-style outdoor seating at tapas and cocktail bar
- 08:27 Social worker sacked and suspended after assault
- 08:27 Bill Jamieson: End of an era for UK income funds
- 08:26 Former mining community honoured with new Ray Lonsdale statue
- 08:26 Drivers warned to beware on icy North East roads
- 08:26 New study reveals lack of awareness from parents at spotting...
- 08:26 Pupils ‘must be taught British values’ claims Westminster review
- 08:25 Missing teenage girl has not been seen for almost a week
- 08:23 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:22 HK stocks hit 2-wk low on Italian "no" vote, muted response to...
- 08:21 BMW workers remotely lock stolen car – with the thief still inside it
- 08:20 North East workers most optimistic about careers after Brexit,...
- 08:20 Bells will be ringing out for Christmas...
- 08:20 WATCH: Sneak preview of Last Tango in Halifax Christmas special
- 08:19 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp insists his side do not have an...
- 08:18 Penarth neighbours create 'living' advent calendar