Collapsing mushroom sector exposes flaws in Ireland's Brexit response
Ireland's mushroom industry provides a stark warning to the rest of the country's economy about the damage a sustained weakness in sterling could inflict on Irish exporters, the sector most vulnerable to the impact of Brexit.
Mushroom growers rely on the United Kingdom for 80 percent of sales and have been losing money since Britain's vote to quit the European Union in June sent sterling tumbling. It has now lost 19 percent of its value against the euro, wiping out the Irish producers' profit margins.
Five of Ireland's 60 mushroom farms have so far gone out of business since the referendum,... read more
- 13:40 Hillsborough: Tony Bland's family 'hugely disappointed' by no charges
- 13:39 Kremlin: Putin, Trump to meet on sidelines of G20 summit
- 13:39 Former Mayor of Pendle suspended over racist joke share
- 13:38 Wakefield grandmother's last minute dream meeting with Sir Cliff...
- 13:38 Yorkshire weather: Wet and windy but good news for the weekend
- 13:38 Buckshaw retirement residents try out Virual Reality
- 13:37 FMQs: Sturgeon under pressure to apologise for ‘not being straight’...
- 13:37 Bearded Scotsman hunted by police in Cumbria disorder probe
- 13:37 VOTE: Derbyshire still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:37 Is this the best youth game ever? Watch stunning cup final comeback
- 13:36 Well known Doncaster town centre GP dies
- 13:36 Jermain Defoe signs three-year deal at Bournemouth worth £20m...16...
- 13:36 Smarty pants? Children with higher IQ at lower risk of dying from...
- 13:35 Sunderland sale collapses: Ellis Short to remain, Simon Grayson set...
- 13:35 Fire safety checks come back on Cumbrian high rises
- 13:35 6 reasons to leave it all behind and go to beautiful Dominica
- 13:35 John Carver tells Rafa Benitez to sign game-changers from Chelsea...
- 13:34 This Morning viewers INCONSOLABLE as couple get married LIVE up The...
- 13:34 Bemusement arcade
- 13:34 Nigeria: Ogoni widows sue Shell over military crackdown
- 13:34 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 13:34 Specs help give Brian gift of sight
- 13:33 Alexis Sanchez, Lionel Messi and Javier Hernandez – the 40 stars...
- 13:33 Thrill-seekers stuck in mid-air for '45 minutes' on Smiler ride at...
- 13:33 Liverpool Transfer News: Lemar contact made, Sessegnon snub,...
- 13:32 15 treats you can get for free on your birthday
- 13:32 Battle to save Bowland’s skydancers
- 13:32 VOTE: Notts still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:32 Pub bombings families face fresh wait to see if suspects will be...
- 13:32 Watch: Shock moment bank raiders smash silver 4x4 into bank