Co-accused in South African finance minister's fraud case challenge charges
Two South African former tax service employees who have been charged with fraud alongside Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan asked the state on Monday to review the charge, the National Prosecution Authority (NPA).
Oupa Magashula and Ivan Pillay worked under Gordhan during his tenure as boss of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) from 1999 to 2009.
Opposition parties and critics have described the accusation as part of a ploy to muzzle the Treasury, which has been critical of the political influence yielded by allies of President Jacob Zuma.
The NPA said it had invited Gordhan to make... read more
- 11:59 Bikes stolen in Baginton burglary
- 11:59 Azerbaijan President Aliyev makes wife Mehriban his deputy
- 11:59 Nottingham named one of the best cities to become friends with your...
- 11:59 Look inside this six-bed house for sale on Nottingham's...
- 11:58 Storm Doris to bring damaging winds and heavy rain to Grimsby area
- 11:58 France joins the party as euro zone economic outlook shines
- 11:58 WEATHER WARNING: Winds of up to 60mph to batter North West
- 11:57 Sheffield College students stage Shakespeare inspired show
- 11:56 Missing Warwick man found safe
- 11:55 Byron Sixth Form College into national F1 Schools competition final
- 11:55 Tributes left to Sunderland fan who died in cycling tragedy
- 11:55 Manchester United players and Jose Mourinho in positive mood ahead...
- 11:54 Labour to host vigil for Louth Hospital and NHS
- 11:54 SS-GB: BBC to 'look at' sound levels after complaints
- 11:53 Toyota tease futuristic electric city car concept that'll be...
- 11:53 BMW reveals new flying motorcycle and you'll never believe what...
- 11:53 Manchester United v St-Etienne: Jose Mourinho receives injury boost
- 11:53 Wrexham teenagers arrested on suspicion of robbery
- 11:53 The Lords has "lost its honour" - is it time for them to go?
- 11:53 EU banking watchdog revises new payments rules
- 11:53 As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations
- 11:52 Man suffers burns to face and head in car fire
- 11:52 BREAKING: Jacob Benet Cook pleads guilty to child sex offences
- 11:52 Wayne Rooney returns to training ahead of Manchester United’s EFL...
- 11:51 Why Sutton's 23-stone goalkeeper Wayne Shaw might regret eating a...
- 11:51 Is your Wirral bus route at risk of being scrapped?
- 11:50 This Man United star is the same as Arsenal's Alexis Sanchez - Tony...
- 11:50 Mario Gotze to Liverpool: Pundit questions Jurgen Klopp’s pursuit...
- 11:50 Lincolnshire doctor's surgery placed in special measures
- 11:50 Heterosexual couple lose latest civil partnership battle