Co-accused in South African finance minister's fraud case challenge charges
Two South African former tax service employees who have been charged with fraud alongside Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan asked the state on Monday to review the charge, the National Prosecution Authority (NPA).
Oupa Magashula and Ivan Pillay worked under Gordhan during his tenure as boss of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) from 1999 to 2009.
Opposition parties and critics have described the accusation as part of a ploy to muzzle the Treasury, which has been critical of the political influence yielded by allies of President Jacob Zuma.
The NPA said it had invited Gordhan to make... read more
- 00:00 Unite against neoliberalism
- 00:00 Ukraine: Polish consulate ‘attacked by terrorists’
- 00:00 EU leaders left bitter by Brexit ‘divorce’
- 00:00 South Africa: Zuma stays away from Kathrada’s funeral
- 00:00 Hospital workers to strike over zero-hours
- 00:00 40% cuts to legal aid have reduced system to ‘carnage’
- 00:00 NHS activists protest in York against health cut
- 23:59 'A leg-breaker', a headbutt, four sent off and Hibs boss Neil...
- 23:53 Mary Berry’s new ‘home happiness’ book will reveal her top secret...
- 23:52 Star Wars Battlefront 2 2017 UPDATE: New trailer announcement from EA
- 23:50 Turkey ends Euphrates Shield military campaign in Syria
- 23:46 Everton shouldn't blame James McCarthy for injury setback, insists...
- 23:46 Rangers have agreed £350,000 deal for Billy Gilmour with Chelsea if...
- 23:46 PFA Scotland chairman John Rankin warns Scottish football’s...
- 23:44 Neil Lennon accuses Morton player of trying to break Hibs star's...
- 23:41 Road too small for houses
- 23:41 “I get 250 smiles a day and it’s great”
- 23:41 Slimmer gets invitation to Parliament
- 23:39 US state department employee 'concealed contacts with China'
- 23:37 Chelsea agree £350,000 deal for Rangers wonderkid Billy Gilmour
- 23:35 Sportsmail catches up with Glasgow stars Stuart Hogg, Finn Russell...
- 23:34 Emmerdale star Adam Thomas ‘quits the soap after eight years’
- 23:32 NHS England consulting on taking away certain free medicines to...
- 23:31 Council hopes Kettering street will re-open soon as work on...
- 23:29 Trump administration pursuing sale of F-16's to Bahrain - source
- 23:27 Double Man United contract extension: Real Madrid target David De...
- 23:24 BREAKING: Donald Trump 'to sell F-16 aircrafts to Bahrain despite...
- 23:23 Battle lines are drawn as EU talks begin in earnest
- 23:23 Star Wars 8 news: Is Benicio del Toro playing THRAWN in The Last Jedi?
- 23:22 Jose Mourinho claims only one West Brom player was on international...