Club sale is bittersweet
A BUILDER bought a 150-year-old piece of history in the village where he was born ... in just three minutes.
Because despite brisk bidding, John and Sharon Sykes' offer of £260,000 saw them claim the iconic Delph Club in an auction at the club's Gartside Street headquarters. Father-of-five Mr Sykes declared: "I plan to create affordable living accommodation in the village."
The auction ended months of speculation surrounding the future of the imposing three-storey building which had attracted nationwide interest from prospective buyers.
Last year a letter to members and villagers... read more
- 13:39 Village 'shocked' after shotgun blast leaves man in hospital
- 13:39 Mourners lined the street as 31-year-old scaffolder's coffin...
- 13:37 The vibrating smart umbrella that connects to your phone to warn...
- 13:37 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:36 Unpaid benefits at record level
- 13:36 Andy Robertson says it is 'clear' Hull City need to make signings...
- 13:36 Poundworld phone chargers recalled over fire risk
- 13:33 Jurgen Klopp ‘angry’ at the thought of Liverpool losing to West Ham
- 13:33 Antonio Conte asked about those Alexis Sanchez to Chelsea rumours –...
- 13:33 Transfer Fee Comparison: Man Utd spent nearly three times as much...
- 13:32 Celebrity minder Ricky Hayden death: Man denies murder
- 13:31 Revealed: Harrogate Christmas shop window winners for 2016
- 13:31 Good news for M1 and M62 commuters in West Yorkshire
- 13:31 Review: Incredible success of 2016 Nidderdale Messiah
- 13:30 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte discusses January transfer plans
- 13:30 Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp: Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho...
- 13:29 Extremely relatable squirrel gets stuck in a manhole cover thanks...
- 13:29 Maersk, Hyundai Merchant Marine alliance talks in doubt
- 13:29 Plans for Indian restaurant to be built on former site of popular...
- 13:29 South Yorkshire torture brothers granted lifelong anonymity
- 13:29 Manchester United new signings rated: Eric Bailly shining for Jose...
- 13:29 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp warns West Ham his side will be...
- 13:29 Bomb disposal team to carry out explosion in Walney
- 13:28 Tamworth Herald tracks down 'love lock' couple from Hockley
- 13:28 Arsenal star Alex Iwobi reveals Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez guidance
- 13:28 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte hails Diego Costa: He shows huge passion
- 13:26 Rainford schools honoured at education awards
- 13:26 Sex abuser vows to continue fight for justice after CPS decide not...
- 13:25 Developers rethink controversial access route for planned 100-home...
- 13:25 READER LETTER: Parking - New roads come at cost