Climate change campaigners hail international deal to phase out fridge gases
An international deal has been struck to cut powerful greenhouse gases used in fridges and air conditioning.
The move to amend the Montreal Protocol - which agreed the global phasing-out of chemicals that damage the ozone layer - to include climate-harming gases known as hydrofluorocarbons or HFCs has been hailed by campaigners.
HFCs have been used to replace the ozone-damaging chemicals in refrigeration and air conditioning but are very powerful greenhouse gases which trap thousands of times more heat than carbon dioxide.
They are also the fastest growing greenhouse gas, with emissions... read more
- 12:49 Thug left father-in-law's tongue 'shredded' in brutal hotel attack
- 12:48 Burglars hunted over spate of break-ins across Sheffield
- 12:48 Syria war: 'Dozens killed' in IS reprisals in Qaryatain
- 12:48 Fire rips through former Chester curry house
- 12:45 Sunderland firm’s fundraisers hit the heights for stroke charity
- 12:45 Builder honoured for work on apprenticeships
- 12:45 Sunderland travel insurance firm scoops national award
- 12:45 This is how many cigarettes you can legally have during a shift at...
- 12:44 Wasps v Harlequins: 'Holding out for a hero' and four other...
- 12:44 Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Wellingborough theatre for...
- 12:43 UK employees do £30,000-worth of work during lunch breaks
- 12:43 Dad who created prosthetic arm for son now running worldwide trial
- 12:43 Conwy Council faces £200k funding gap as demand for emergency...
- 12:42 Time for cuppa as cafe opens up at Fylde coast library
- 12:42 Pups under threat as Scottish dog shelter issues desperate plea for...
- 12:42 Cops probing shocking East Kilbride sex attack appeal to hooded pair
- 12:41 Jodie Whittaker to have three new assistants when she becomes...
- 12:41 Couple tell of horror after car fire trapped them in their home
- 12:41 Appeal for witnesses after ‘altercation’ in Rugby
- 12:41 Everything you need to know about Leeds Christmas lights switch on...
- 12:41 Dyer dampens talk of Sinfield signing for Hoppers
- 12:41 Maguire booster for PNE
- 12:40 Jason Derulo’s epic Game of Thrones Night King Halloween costume...
- 12:40 Pedro Caixinha back to work at Rangers less than 24 hours after...
- 12:40 New grandstand hailed a winner
- 12:40 UK employees do £30,000-worth of work during lunch breaks
- 12:39 Passenger praises rail staff on-board train that hit and killed man
- 12:39 New grandstand hailed a winner
- 12:39 'I had to go into survival mode' Diver forced to fend of 13ft tiger...
- 12:39 New railcard for 26-30-year-olds revealed but travellers demand...