Clarke: Fans would abuse gay players
FA chair admits they can’t figure out how to stop homophobia
FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION chair Greg Clarke said yesterday he could not encourage gay players to come out until football became a “safe place” and homophobia was stamped out of the game.
Clarke and the FA’s director of strategy Robert Sullivan were appearing before the House of Commons culture, media and sport committee, with the MPs repeatedly challenging them on what due diligence was done before Sam Allardyce was hired in July.
However, it was his comments on gay footballers which raised eyebrows and highlighted the lack of action... read more
- 07:13 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 One lane of M1 exit slip road blocked near Leeds
- 07:12 Cobblers move ‘ticked the right boxes’ for ambitious striker Williams
- 07:11 Unai Emery to Arsenal: Ex-PSG boss will be SHOCKED by this at...
- 07:11 Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona: Atletico Madrid star sent huge...
- 07:11 Malaysia's 1MDB scandal investigator tells of death threats and...
- 07:10 An open letter to anyone who watched the royal wedding and worries...
- 07:10 Fabletics drained my 16-year-old daughter’s bank account
- 07:08 Ratcliffe brace sees Trojans grind out victory to remain top of table
- 07:08 Potter receives funding boost as she chases Olympic dream
- 07:07 Carlisle man moves on after Manchester terrorist attack
- 07:07 Notorious Carlisle nuisance sent to prison for making abusive 999...
- 07:07 Flats set for approval despite parking fears
- 07:06 Is Bercow heading for a fall?
- 07:05 Over-sterile and germ-free homes ‘could be behind leukaemia...
- 07:04 Hartlepool United eye move for out-of-contract full-back
- 07:04 Man Utd coach Jose Mourinho ‘considers Eric Bailly sale’: Tottenham...
- 07:03 Schools: how to raise £1m a year
- 07:02 Business leaders say economic nationalism is biggest growth threat
- 07:01 Guest Column: Living with bipolar is tough but help is out there
- 06:58 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:58 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:57 Michael Sturrock: New rules on data are good business practice
- 06:57 Meghan Markle hints at feminist role in monarchy
- 06:57 Police issue CCTV images of men wanted over Doncaster attack
- 06:56 UK’s new air pollution strategy ‘hugely disappointing’, says Labour
- 06:56 A64 restrictions change to aid traffic
- 06:54 Ariana Grande shares message of support on anniversary of...
- 06:53 Chelsea should NOT sell Eden Hazard even if Real Madrid offer £150m...
- 06:52 Manchester attack: Arena survivors mark first anniversary