City of London's reliance on EU 'passport' exaggerated - think tank
Britain needs to focus its efforts on the banking sector when negotiating new financial trading terms with the European Union as the benefits of unfettered access across the industry as a whole have been overplayed, think tank Open Europe said in a report on Monday.
Open Europe, which campaigned for reforming the EU and adopted a neutral stance in the UK's EU referendum in June, said a broad strategy across the whole financial sector would lack credibility.
"To claim that the success of the UK as a global financial centre is entirely reliant on the passport is exaggerated," said... read more
- 10:05 Review - CAODS's opening night of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
- 10:05 Man United boss Jose Mourinho highlights this player’s performance...
- 10:05 Shale gas supply chain events call
- 10:05 Former 19th century vicarage set to become sought after wedding venue
- 10:05 'Why would someone do something so spiteful?' - Beach hut collapses...
- 10:04 Motorway closed after car fire
- 10:02 How Sheffield allotment is growing connections with nature and the...
- 10:02 Education column: Most parents know less about school than what’s...
- 10:02 Barclays sets aside another £600m for PPI compensation claims
- 10:02 West Ham and Chelsea fan violence turns area into 'bomb site' and...
- 10:02 Australian magistrate tells Aboriginal teen to 'be like 50 Cent'
- 10:01 Bottles of water given to villagers hit by a burst main near Market...
- 10:01 Fewer EU nationals apply to study in Britain after Brexit vote
- 10:01 Turkey orders detention of dozens of pilots in coup investigation -...
- 09:59 Upset thief stole wine after death of friend
- 09:58 Children 'forced to sleep by roadside' after Calais Jungle...
- 09:58 FOOTBALL RUMOURS: Blanc wants United job, Allardyce for Wolves?...
- 09:57 Pensioner slasher back behind bars after going on run from jail
- 09:57 All you need to know about the new Royal Bank of Scotland £5 note
- 09:55 Demand for fibre helps BT meet forecasts, pension deficit widens
- 09:55 England beat USA to host rugby league World Cup in 2021
- 09:55 Manny Pacquiao steps up workout ahead of boxing return as...
- 09:55 Eurowings cancels hundreds of flights amid cabin crew strike
- 09:55 Leeds to lose star man in summer: Leicester scouted him in EFL Cup win
- 09:55 UK economic growth slows to 0.5% in third quarter
- 09:54 Final council votes in favour of Lincolnshire devolution
- 09:53 Cumbria warned to prepare for icy winter weather from next month
- 09:52 Gin prices will increase to painful levels if inflation rises 3%
- 09:50 Waiter knocks thumb off Roman sculpture at British Museum
- 09:50 Man charged with firearms offence after special police operation in...