CITY DIARY: Don't expect new Tory treasurer Sir Mick Davis to throw any wild conference parties
Don't expect newly-appointed Tory treasurer Sir Mick Davis to throw any lavish celebrations at next week's conference. I'm advised the bearded, £80million former Xstrata boss, 58 – aka 'Mick the Miner' – is a reserved sort, and not prone to unbridled extravagance.
How honourable members must long for those halcyon days of former treasurers Lords McAlpine and Hesketh, who threw uproarious beanos with ice-filled hotel baths brimming with native oysters and premier cru champagne.
Lawyers at City firm Macfarlanes' private client division, which advises filthy rich customers on tax, have been... read more
- 06:15 Islamic State 'Beatles': US and UK talk about fate of duo
- 06:13 Banks must lead banishing of anti-business sentiments
- 06:13 New bus masterplan aims to keep Leeds on the move
- 06:13 Theresa May refuses calls to give transport bosses in North same...
- 06:11 Don’t miss out on chance to have your say on keeping Hartlepool safe
- 06:11 Motorist caught by police while under the influence of drugs
- 06:11 Retirement age for police power station workers to be reviewed
- 06:11 MP calls for services to be brought back to Hartlepool’s hospital
- 06:11 People from Hartlepool in court for charges including theft and...
- 06:11 Hartlepool has one of the highest rates in the North East for...
- 06:09 Karate kids kick off season in style
- 06:09 Playwright aims to tell story of pioneering female footballer
- 06:09 Disabled man’s seat sparks safety row at South Shields flats
- 06:09 South Tyneside has region’s lowest rate of secondary school exclusions
- 06:09 New figures show big increase in cyber sex offences against children
- 06:07 Sunderland manager Chris Coleman praises ‘brilliant’ night at...
- 06:06 Roving night shelter set to launch in Wellingborough soon
- 06:06 Rushden chicken farm plans recommended for refusal
- 06:06 Kettering choir’s fundraising efforts help air ambulance
- 06:06 New bus masterplan aims to keep Leeds on the move
- 06:06 Kettering street ‘riddled’ with flies after waste dumped
- 06:05 Roddy Smith: Bidding to be best – how businesses improve the city...
- 06:05 Ilona Amos: Every time you do the laundry you damage the environment
- 06:04 Kids invited to see lambs being born at National Forest Adventure Farm
- 06:02 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp makes HUGE claim about current Reds...
- 05:57 Mitsutoki Shigeta: 'Baby factory' dad wins paternity rights
- 05:56 YEP says: WE need to change our attitude to bus travel
- 05:56 Chelsea news: Cesc Fabregas leaks major Real Madrid transfer deal...
- 05:50 Birmingham City Council criticised over official traveller camp...
- 05:50 Father forced to pay £600 fine for taking child out of school in...