CITY DIARY: Don't expect new Tory treasurer Sir Mick Davis to throw any wild conference parties
Don't expect newly-appointed Tory treasurer Sir Mick Davis to throw any lavish celebrations at next week's conference. I'm advised the bearded, £80million former Xstrata boss, 58 – aka 'Mick the Miner' – is a reserved sort, and not prone to unbridled extravagance.
How honourable members must long for those halcyon days of former treasurers Lords McAlpine and Hesketh, who threw uproarious beanos with ice-filled hotel baths brimming with native oysters and premier cru champagne.
Lawyers at City firm Macfarlanes' private client division, which advises filthy rich customers on tax, have been... read more
- 10:16 Tory lead over Labour falls by 10 points in a week
- 10:15 Non-O blood group 'linked to higher heart attack risk'
- 10:15 In the Saddle: First show... and a first place
- 10:15 13 Reasons Why: Who is Katherine Langford? What is her age, acting...
- 10:13 Liverpool and Chelsea both keen on Serie A star: Goal-scoring...
- 10:13 Man critical after attack in Northumberland town
- 10:13 Would you know what to do if you found a burglar in your home?
- 10:13 Superstar Anthony Joshua calls out Tyson Fury after stopping...
- 10:12 Election success would entitle SNP to hold IndyRef2, poll finds
- 10:10 Britain to bask in glorious sunshine after Bank Holiday wash out
- 10:10 Antonio Conte hails Chelsea’s Diego Costa as the ‘best striker in...
- 10:09 Who starred for Hull City in hard-fought draw at Southampton?
- 10:09 This star is Manchester United's player of the year - Gary Neville
- 10:09 Police concerned for safety of missing teenager Tommy-Lee Jeffrey
- 10:09 Castleford 54 Wigan 4: Michael Shenton shines for Tigers
- 10:08 Taxi driver charged in connection with horror crash in Edinburgh's...
- 10:07 There's a picture of Barry Chuckle and Jay Z watching Joshua vs...
- 10:06 Named and shamed: Who's been in Derbyshire's courts?
- 10:06 Police appeal for witnesses after attack
- 10:05 BBC Children In Need supports key Cumbrian project
- 10:04 Pilot hurt in gyrocopter crash on the edge of Cumbria
- 10:02 What should you do if you think your neighbours are smoking cannabis?
- 10:01 'Two men unconscious' in mass brawl with weapons in Cleethorpes
- 09:59 Teacher says sorry I kicked pupil up the backside - but "it worked"
- 09:59 You had one job! Comical photos from around the world capture what...
- 09:59 General Election build-up LIVE: Sunday politics updates including...
- 09:58 Chelsea to offer star man £150,000-a-week deal: He could be at...
- 09:58 Kate and Gerry McCann will do "whatever it takes for as long as it...
- 09:57 Organiser, Oracle, Elephant, Maverick, or Steady Eddie ... which...
- 09:57 Five things which newcomers to Derby just won't get at first