City centre junction is almost unidentifiable
If it wasn't for the building on the left, I doubt if many readers would recognise this 1959 scene today, as virtually everything else has disappeared.
The surviving building is, of course, the fine stone old Leicester City police headquarters, built in 1933 after Charles Street had been extended and opened as the "Million Pound Highway."
Today, it no longer serves the police, but is the centrepiece of the Colton Square business quarter.
On the opposite side of the road is a large public house which, I think, was the Brickmakers' Arms, later the Carousel "fun pub".
This... read more
- 07:21 Real Madrid news: Karim Benzema sends message to haters and gives...
- 07:19 England name team to take on Australia in Ashes opener as Jake Ball...
- 07:19 Flood alerts issued for Cumbria
- 07:19 Does Canada celebrate thanksgiving? When and why do they do it?
- 07:17 Colin Montgomery: Politicians who should go on Casualty and Beechgrove
- 07:17 Leader comment: Single Market may be UK’s single option for Brexit
- 07:16 Liverpool news: WATCH Naby Keita score stunning goal for RB Leipzig...
- 07:16 Liverpool news: Frank Lampard makes bold Premier League and...
- 07:16 Chelsea news: Antonio Conte has the future of Stamford Bridge at...
- 07:16 Ashes: England reveal team for first Test as Jake Ball gets the nod...
- 07:16 Red flags everyone should look out for when they’re dating
- 07:15 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:14 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:13 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:13 Hull Live: Breaking News, traffic and travel from Hull and East...
- 07:13 Shrimps can’t keep failing to fire
- 07:11 Sellafield workers strike today in row over pay
- 07:11 Funerals, birthdays and potentially even his own wedding -...
- 07:10 Australian school apologises for 'suggestive' saint statue
- 07:09 Man City manager Pep Guardiola reacts to Feyenoord win and Phil...
- 07:09 Manchester United predicted line up vs Basel
- 07:09 Singer and actor David Cassidy dies aged 67
- 07:07 The TGI Fridays tug-of-war: Kingswood and city centre tussle over...
- 07:06 Road near Kirkham closed after flooding
- 07:05 Uuganaa Ramsay: Equality and fairness? People with disability are...
- 07:05 James Cant: We’re saving more babies with heart defects thanks to...
- 07:02 Skype removed from China Apple and Android app stores
- 07:02 Manchester United target Antoine Griezmann drops bombshell:...
- 07:02 WWII Spitfire recovered from Owersby field
- 07:02 Vile footage shows police woman being spat at 24 TIMES