City centre junction is almost unidentifiable
If it wasn't for the building on the left, I doubt if many readers would recognise this 1959 scene today, as virtually everything else has disappeared.
The surviving building is, of course, the fine stone old Leicester City police headquarters, built in 1933 after Charles Street had been extended and opened as the "Million Pound Highway."
Today, it no longer serves the police, but is the centrepiece of the Colton Square business quarter.
On the opposite side of the road is a large public house which, I think, was the Brickmakers' Arms, later the Carousel "fun pub".
This... read more
- 21:25 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 21:22 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 21:21 Naked waffle house gunman disarmed by hero customer after killing...
- 21:20 Who will Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal have to beat to set up...
- 21:19 Burton man avoids jail after stealing clothing from Peacocks
- 21:19 Dan’s the man as Zamparelli cruises to victory
- 21:19 Hundreds turn up to say farewell to adored Chester busker Jonny Walker
- 21:17 Katie Price insists she did train for London Marathon - after...
- 21:17 Fifth successive defeat as season fades in poor finish
- 21:15 Arsene Wenger provides injury update on THREE Arsenal stars ahead...
- 21:14 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 21:09 Barcelona eye up Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to replace Ernesto...
- 21:07 WEEKEND WEB: We should be reducing our reliance on imports
- 21:03 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 20:56 Best of British: Sir Mo Farah left gasping by brutal pace but he...
- 20:55 Katie Price fires back after failing to finish London Marathon
- 20:55 'We would be better off in EU' say more than half of people in survey
- 20:52 The Big Brexit Survey: Does Coventry still want to leave the EU?
- 20:51 Motorway closed in both directions due to "police incident"
- 20:50 Mum finds out stillborn baby could have been saved three times
- 20:49 This is how many people in Doncaster think UK will be better off...
- 20:48 Meet the man who's survived a snake, bear and shark attack
- 20:45 Katie Price slams suggestions she didn’t train for London Marathon...
- 20:43 Council of Europe members suspected of corruption, inquiry reveals
- 20:42 Lara Dickenmann’s strike for Wolfsburg leaves Chelsea with mountain...
- 20:42 Catalans Dragons do enough to get past spirited York City Knights
- 20:34 Gary Ballance sends Yorkshire to verge of win against Nottinghamshire
- 20:34 Derbyshire poised for victory over Middlesex
- 20:30 Richard Leonard calls for more action by Labour on federalism
- 20:29 The REAL reason why Jose Mourinho didn't celebrate Man Utd's...