Chris Moncrieff: May must crack the whip at Tory rebels
WHATEVER happened to political party discipline?
With the exception of Stephen Hammond, who was sacked as a Tory Party vice-chairman, the other 10 Conservatives in last week’s hugely damaging anti-Brexit rebellion may be getting away with it scot-free.
The rebellion led to a Government defeat in the Commons, which gravely weakened the Prime Minister in her Brexit negotiations with the Brussels Eurocrats.
Government whips no doubt gave the miscreants a severe telling-off – but other than that, at the time of writing, there seems to be no other form of punishment detectable.
But it is... read more
- 12:25 VIDEO: Kane England win the World Cup?
- 12:23 Music Review Forever young Felix marks half a century with radical...
- 12:23 Music Review Junction's techno treat the one to beat
- 12:23 Interview ‘Songs always boss you around’
- 12:23 Calls for BBC to sack Lord Sugar after ‘racist’ tweet
- 12:23 England star Jamie Vardy hailed ‘absolute legend’ for hilarious...
- 12:20 BBC announces action to boost staff from BAME backgrounds
- 12:20 'Finchley Park needs levelling' - Furious reaction as man, 45,...
- 12:20 Prince Louis to be baptised on July 9
- 12:20 Teenager robbed at knifepoint in Widnes
- 12:19 Portugal v Morocco LIVE: World Cup updates with Cristiano Ronaldo...
- 12:19 Ford Park group set out to combat litter scourge
- 12:18 12 gauge pump-action shotgun handed into police
- 12:18 Kalidou Koulibaly tells Chelsea fans to expect a ‘very good coach’...
- 12:18 Two seriously injured after two bus smash outside Edinburgh primary...
- 12:17 University includes Nazi quote in email to students
- 12:17 Corby medical centre fined for fly-tipping
- 12:17 Rejuvenated Jimny
- 12:16 Drivers’ incentives to use new coach park
- 12:16 Bookies link Wolves with shock bid for West Brom star
- 12:15 Airport runway closure saw disabled passengers 'trapped on plane'
- 12:15 This new hub will help young people with disabilities find employment
- 12:15 PICS: Football fever lands at Treetops Nursery
- 12:14 Workers shouted 'get out' following chemical leak at Carlsberg in...
- 12:14 Free travel on the Metrolink offered as part of Clean Air Day
- 12:13 Anger at hospital stroke plan
- 12:13 Big Clean campaign continues to inspire tidier south Cumbria
- 12:13 Teen says charity abseil was no let down
- 12:13 Royal fuss kicked up over threats to beloved Bowness cinema
- 12:13 Scotland better represented in the Lords than other parts of the UK