Chinese Uighur wins prestigious rights award
A Chinese academic, jailed for life two years ago for campaigning for the rights of the Muslim Uighur people, has won a prestigious annual human rights award, organisers said on Tuesday.
Ilham Tohti, who is an ethnic Uighur, was selected from three finalists for the Martin Ennals Award, whose jury is composed of 10 activist groups including Amnesty International, where Ennals was an early secretary-general.
"A renowned Uighur intellectual in China, Ilham Tohti has worked for two decades to foster dialogue and understanding between Uighurs and Han Chinese," the jury said. "He... read more
- 16:48 Man who fell down stairs while drunk dies after brain bleed
- 16:48 Tatenhill family of terminally ill boy Luke Gower, 12, in...
- 16:48 Man was carried on bonnet of an Audi car during hit and run
- 16:47 M6 shut northbound after smash
- 16:45 Hundreds of jobs to go as restaurant chain Prezzo axes nearly 100...
- 16:45 Book review: Dead Men’s Trousers, by Irvine Welsh
- 16:44 The Pod's new home puts skills and talent in centre of Coventry's...
- 16:43 Why did a river in Leeds turn bright green?
- 16:43 M1 lorry drivers jailed over crash that killed eight people
- 16:43 Seth Meyers: Trump's lawyers are joining the Titanic 'after it hit...
- 16:43 US obesity rate hits record high: Almost HALF of women are obese...
- 16:43 Why a journal is so good for you: Confronting your past failings on...
- 16:42 Town’s defensive frailties exposed in Tiverton defeat
- 16:41 Man suffers facial injuries following Whitehaven incident
- 16:40 Chance to rent former Second World War aircraft hangar
- 16:40 Knocked out but spurred on: Cumbrian teens determined to make a...
- 16:39 Blackpool Zoo launches its new elephant house
- 16:39 US sanctions Iranian hackers for 'stealing university data'
- 16:39 Manchester City's big stars ended Luke Coulson's dream after 10...
- 16:37 Ayla’s first school flamenco
- 16:37 Traditional Good Friday parade to take place in South Shields
- 16:36 Let’s move to Eastbourne, East Sussex: ‘Things may be changing’
- 16:36 First non-stop flight between UK and Australia set for take-off
- 16:36 'I will not resign': Councillor's vow following disabled insult row
- 16:35 Supermarket chain makes £1.9 million investment and creates 15 new...
- 16:34 Explained: Four major mistakes Alan Pardew has made to West Brom's...
- 16:34 Liverpool goalkeeper linked with Newcastle United move - but would...
- 16:33 Keep off our land, indigenous women tell Ecuador's president
- 16:33 Officers remove bench in Salisbury where Skripals fell ill
- 16:33 Police inspector who dumped wife’s body in lake convicted of murder