China stocks end up but trade thin ahead of long holiday
China stocks ended modestly higher on Tuesday but trade was thin, with many investors reluctant to stake out fresh positions ahead of a week-long holiday despite a surge in August industrial profits.
Both the blue-chip CSI300 index and the Shanghai Composite Index rose 0.6 percent, to 3,240.75 and 2,998.17 points, respectively, helped by a late afternoon rally, but turnover remained low.
The first U.S. presidential debate between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump attracted attention from the investment community, but did not appear to have had an immediate impact on the... read more
- 01:01 Eddie Howe delighted to see his strikers starting to score after...
- 01:00 International visits to US fall
- 00:57 Pokemon Go NEWS: Niantic update adds FREE item that TRANSFORMS your...
- 00:57 Young people 'face debt epidemic'
- 00:53 Quarter of 14-year-old girls 'have signs of depression'
- 00:53 Bristol City fans help Shrewsbury edge closer to funding...
- 00:53 Manchester City's squad laugh and joke in light-hearted training...
- 00:48 Trump's first UN speech met with criticism from some leaders
- 00:47 Neolithic Orkney rivalries detailed in new study
- 00:47 Experts gather for Europe's first dark sky conference
- 00:44 Life-extending lung cancer drug approved
- 00:43 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha insists he will have no problem playing...
- 00:43 Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere is battle-hardened after 'tough...
- 00:35 Lawrie returns to the scene of his victory with his original weapons
- 00:30 Emmerdale spoilers: Gillian Kearney teases explosive details on...
- 00:23 Jurgen Klopp reacts to Liverpool's Carabao Cup exit at Leicester
- 00:22 10 university flashpoints over free speech
- 00:22 The Italians who prefer to drink American coffee
- 00:22 Smartphone sales boom with over-55s
- 00:22 Manchester police still relies on Windows XP
- 00:21 'Racist' Paddy Power advert for Mayweather v McGregor superfight...
- 00:20 Rail staff set for biggest strike since sell-off
- 00:20 Should I buy a diesel car? Debate on fuel CONFUSING motorists
- 00:19 Philippe Coutinho showed why Barcelona want him against Leicester -...
- 00:18 Barcelona players criticised for wearing shirts with Ousmane...
- 00:17 More entrepreneurs looking for an exit
- 00:17 Ministers face pay cap conundrum, says the IFS
- 00:17 Young spend three times more on housing than grandparents
- 00:17 Water companies pulled up over complaint calls
- 00:17 Google launches UK 'anti-terror fund'