Chilean President Bachelet shows deep emotion at human rights event
Chilean President Michelle Bachelet recalled with deep emotion the torture of her father and in a public appearance on Friday recognised the role of the state in human rights violations during the country's 1973-1990 military dictatorship.
Bachelet was attending a public act of recognition in Santiago after the Inter-American Court of Human Rights in 2015 found against the Chilean state for denying justice to 12 members of the air force.
The 12 had faced a "war council" after being associated with opposition to the 1973 coup by General Augusto Pinochet, an event that still has... read more
- 10:23 Marks and Spencer recall soup due to possible contamination
- 10:23 ‘Hallelujah’ over Headingley’s brighter future
- 10:22 Lancaster model shop to shut after 28 years trading
- 10:22 Cannabis infused candy floss edibles now exist and they need to...
- 10:21 Firefighters wash up £500
- 10:21 Man charged over death of little Violet Grace-Youens to appear in...
- 10:21 The 10 Premier League bosses to win the most points over the past...
- 10:21 Sex offender didn't want police to disturb his bereaved family
- 10:21 Stroll With Stu: Reunion a great way to end walk to village pub
- 10:21 Telford A&E could close overnight
- 10:20 Weak sterling supports UK's FTSE ahead of Brexit trigger, mid caps...
- 10:20 Muslim groups plan march against Jakarta's Christian governor
- 10:20 Iraqi forces battle towards landmark Mosul mosque
- 10:20 Duggan family lose inquest appeal
- 10:19 EU antitrust regulators block Deutsche Boerse, LSE merger
- 10:19 Why Pets at Home are set to stop selling rabbits over Easter
- 10:19 Mirko Cro Cop wants retirement fight with fellow legend...
- 10:18 Paul Weller EXCLUSIVE: ‘Magical moment’ music icon records NEW song...
- 10:18 Sir Elton John preparing animated Joseph And The Amazing...
- 10:18 Johnathan Rayfield attacked a Batley shop assistant as he stole a...
- 10:18 Leonardo DiCaprio pays tribute to ‘best acting mum’ after death of...
- 10:18 Book review: Irresistible: Why we can’t stop checking, scrolling,...
- 10:18 Disgraced hospital consultant who ripped off NHS gets unpaid work
- 10:18 Bool review: Birdcage Walk, by Helen Dunmore
- 10:18 7 great family days out in Scotland
- 10:17 Halifax MP Holly Lynch warns prison officers face huge risk of...
- 10:17 Crash on busy Scarborough road
- 10:17 Gunnar Nelson reveals who he wants to fight after emphatic Alan...
- 10:16 Troon FC swoop for former Ayr United and Hearts star Ryan Stevenson
- 10:16 Murder suspect in police custody over stabbing in Sheffield