Children of the 80s are only half as wealthy as those born in the 70s
Young adults today are the first generation born since the Second World War to earn less than those born in the decade before them.
A new survey has found children born in the 1980s are just half as well off as those in the 1970s, and find it much harder to buy a house.
By their 30s, people born in the decade dominated by Margaret Thatcher have an average household wealth of £27,000, according to a new report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
This pales in comparison to the £53,000 enjoyed by those born in the decade before them.
It suggests an end to steadily rising living standards... read more
- 14:43 AMERICA’S BREXIT? New bill could pull US out of UN in funding row
- 14:43 Ethiopian crushed to death in Calais – but police REFUSE to accept...
- 14:43 Classic 1973 Range Rover that travelled through AFRICA goes on sale
- 14:43 WATCH: Young girl, 7, pens heartfelt open letter to Prime Minister...
- 14:42 Drunk driver attempted to flee after high-speed crash on A59 at...
- 14:42 Police concerned for safety of 25-year-old man
- 14:42 Public urged to vote for Scotland’s beavers
- 14:41 Charity challenge Walking With The Wounded aiming for biggest year yet
- 14:41 Warning to older people as Met Office issues cold weather alert
- 14:40 Holbeach Music Cafe to reopen at WI Hall
- 14:40 Emergency planning meeting to mobilise village community
- 14:40 Anglesey farmer forks out £500 after assaulting young woman in pub...
- 14:40 German government holds 2017 growth forecast at 1.4 percent - sources
- 14:39 Wall St. set to open lower amid uncertainty under Trump
- 14:39 Ban lifted on Indian bull-taming events to end mass protests
- 14:38 LIVE: Coastguard helicopter responds to 'ongoing incident' in...
- 14:38 Town’s oldest building to be saved from possible collapse
- 14:38 Jurgen Klopp: How injury to star man hit Liverpool players
- 14:38 Has Jurgen Klopp just given up on Liverpool winning the title?
- 14:38 Perplexed by your pension? You're not alone - we lift the lid on...
- 14:37 Changes over time give tower surrealistic feel
- 14:37 Civic Society marks 40 years
- 14:36 WE MAKE QUIZZING FUN: Rumours of this week's Fleetwood Mac top...
- 14:36 YP Letters: Teachers must be equipped to be resilient for pupils’ sake
- 14:36 Drunk driver attempted to flee after high-speed crash on A59 at...
- 14:34 WE MAKE QUIZZING FUN: Rumours of this week's Fleetwood Mac top...
- 14:34 Ladies College choir on song for national contest
- 14:34 Leeds Bradford Airport boosts New York flights roster
- 14:34 Alcohol stolen after pub is ram-raided
- 14:34 Expansion plans for Banbury’s Castle Quay ready to go