Children from Calais 'Jungle' set to arrive in Britain ahead of camp demolition
Councils are preparing for the arrival of children from the Calais "Jungle" next week as part of a drive to transfer young refugees to Britain before the camp is demolished.
French authorities are poised to begin work to dismantle the site after President Francois Hollande said it would be removed by the end of the year.
Earlier this week Home Secretary Amber Rudd confirmed she had stressed to her French counterpart that children eligible to come to the UK should be moved out of the camp before the demolition process starts.
David Simmonds, chairman of the Local Government... read more
- 15:08 Research reveals women are taking control of their finances
- 15:07 Shock number of Cheshire businesses connected to organised crime...
- 15:07 Banking royal commission: Labor asks Turnbull for compensation scheme
- 15:07 Peak District tourism business workshops to push new marketing project
- 15:07 Club tropicália: the mesmerising power of Brazilian art
- 15:00 Thierry Henry wants Arsene Wenger to be remembered for 'changing...
- 15:00 Arsenal supporters pay tribute to departing manager Arsene Wenger...
- 14:58 Peak District tourism business workshops to push new marketing project
- 14:54 Arsenal issue update on Mohamed Elneny after Arsenal star appears...
- 14:54 Scots carer slept in grit bin overnight after ferry cancelled
- 14:54 Ronnie O'Sullivan storms back against Stephen Maguire to avoid a...
- 14:53 Chris Froome salbutamol case expected to be resolved before Tour de...
- 14:52 PICTURED: Dramatic images of spectacular lightning over Yorkshire
- 14:52 Suffragettes ride out for parity in cycling
- 14:52 Missing Hornsea couple may need medical help
- 14:52 A Lancashire man has died after being pulled from water in the Lake...
- 14:50 Motorway closures after 'serious collision' near Wigan
- 14:49 Killer whales seen in river Clyde
- 14:49 Windrush: Corbyn says PM ignored immigration policy warnings
- 14:47 London Marathon 2018: Katie Price is cheered on by supporters as...
- 14:45 Labour to seek local support for £250bn 'regional renaissance'
- 14:44 The club who could come calling for Arsene Wenger this summer -...
- 14:44 Why West Brom's late rally and denial of Liverpool was particularly...
- 14:43 Eliud Kipchoge wins men’s London Marathon as Mo Farah comes third
- 14:40 Review of ‘crucial’ flood alert system
- 14:40 On The Beat column: The latest police news for Pocklington and...
- 14:40 Syracuse University expels fraternity over racist video
- 14:40 Grantham woman competes on TV quiz show
- 14:35 ‘Pick ourselves up. Dust ourselves down’ - 11 things you said on...
- 14:32 Dismay at cost of policing tree protests in Sheffield