Children and working-age people's welfare bill share 'to hit 30-year low'
The cuts implemented since 2010 will see spending on social security and tax credits return to pre-financial crisis levels by the end of this Parliament - although complex welfare reform schemes have failed to produce the savings claimed by ministers.
The Office for Budget Responsibility forecast that between 2015-16 and 2020-21, welfare spending will rise £14.2 billion to £230.8 billion but once the effects of inflation are taken into account it amounts to a real-terms cut of 2.3% and a fall of 1.4% as a share of GDP.
The impact of the cuts implemented by the coalition and Tory governments... read more
- 10:07 Concerns grow for missing nine-year-old
- 10:05 PICTURE: Mysterious Turin Shroud-style horse's head appears on...
- 10:05 Doncaster man jailed for grooming teenage girl online
- 10:04 Could you be a town councillor in Stamford?
- 10:04 M&G lifts UK property funds suspension
- 10:04 DANGEROUS DOGS: 1,500 out-of-control dogs reported to Northants police
- 10:03 Chester woman celebrates Hospice Care Week in verse
- 10:03 Tarporley show jumper on course for national championships
- 10:03 Police release e-fit of man suspected of pulling down woman’s hijab
- 10:02 Police in Barrow issue advice on wearing clown costumes for Halloween
- 10:02 Kenilworth barbershop singers to perform in one-off concert
- 10:02 Chelsea captain John Terry set to miss Man United clash with...
- 10:01 By-election to be held for former prime minister David Cameron’s...
- 10:01 Police issue image of car in relation to Banbury attempted murder
- 10:01 Chance to get involved in plan
- 10:01 Appeal to find missing Warwick woman
- 10:01 Councillors allay fears over relocation of Visions Children’s...
- 10:01 Meet the man behind the gruelling 10K Wolf Run
- 10:00 Hard Brexit ‘would spell disaster for many farms’
- 10:00 Rangers ace Niko Kranjcar in crock shock - Ibrox chiefs fear...
- 09:59 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho reacts to Paul Pogba-Wayne Rooney Europa...
- 09:59 Shkodran Mustafi sends message to Arsenal stars: We have to keep...
- 09:59 Alain Juppe says Calais migrant checks should return to UK
- 09:59 Man United enter transfer battle with Liverpool and Leicester for...
- 09:59 Expected Chelsea XI: How Antonio Conte will take on Man United with...
- 09:58 Three Conservation Areas have been put on the at risk register
- 09:59 PICTURE: Mysterious Turin Shroud-style horse's head appears on...
- 09:58 Aberfan remembered 50 years on: Minute's silence to honour 144 killed
- 09:58 Two vehicle smash closes busy road
- 09:58 Competition watchdog to probe online gambling firms amid unfair...