Children and working-age people's welfare bill share 'to hit 30-year low'
The cuts implemented since 2010 will see spending on social security and tax credits return to pre-financial crisis levels by the end of this Parliament - although complex welfare reform schemes have failed to produce the savings claimed by ministers.
The Office for Budget Responsibility forecast that between 2015-16 and 2020-21, welfare spending will rise £14.2 billion to £230.8 billion but once the effects of inflation are taken into account it amounts to a real-terms cut of 2.3% and a fall of 1.4% as a share of GDP.
The impact of the cuts implemented by the coalition and Tory governments... read more
- 11:37 No one’s impressed by Special K’s latest attempt at feminism
- 11:37 Diane Abbott: My views on IRA, like my hair, have changed
- 11:37 Car blaze drama at Preston petrol station
- 11:37 Girl hurt in Preston road traffic collision
- 11:36 Arrest after man dies on Radio 1 Big Weekend shuttle bus
- 11:36 Help! Mum locked out of house with child trapped inside
- 11:36 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:35 Dunkirk: Harry Styles reveals the truth behind THAT water scene -...
- 11:35 Kaiser Chiefs to rock OAT
- 11:34 Conspiracy theory behind dates of recent terror attacks - just...
- 11:34 What will the weather be like in South Yorkshire over the Bank...
- 11:34 Bank Holiday weather: More thunderstorms could strike Yorkshire
- 11:33 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha is just the man to help party-loving...
- 11:32 Kim Jong-un watches as North Korea tests new weapons
- 11:32 Police appeal after North East sex attack on 15-year-old girl
- 11:31 Reports of flash flooding in Yorkshire as stormy weather hits region
- 11:30 Watch: M5 driver cuts up then BRAKE TESTS car towing caravan
- 11:30 9 things we learned at Birmingham Pride
- 11:30 Hugely successful dance festival will be extended next year
- 11:30 British Airways disruption continues after IT failure
- 11:29 Newcastle Airport still subject to flight disruption from Heathrow...
- 11:29 Mass brawl at popular Tyne drinking spot leads to 6ft fence being...
- 11:28 Where does the Environment Agency have flood alerts in place in...
- 11:28 MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Specialist insurer Global Benefits Group proves...
- 11:28 US law firm claims I have £110k in shares to claim but I'll have to...
- 11:27 Police issue photo of Manchester attacker, believe bomb made in...
- 11:27 Arsenal primed to beat Chelsea to Serie A hitman Andrea Belotti in...
- 11:26 Police appeal for missing man
- 11:26 Libya Benghazi: Group blamed for 2012 attack on US mission disbands
- 11:26 Sri Lanka floods: Residents afraid as more rain forecast