Child labour taints production of batteries for electric carmakers, Amnesty says
LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Leading electric carmakers may be unwittingly using child labour to produce batteries for vehicles that have grown in popularity for using clean energy aimed at limiting global warming, Amnesty International said on Friday.
The human rights watchdog said cobalt used in lithium ion batteries for electric vehicles, phones and laptops could come from mines in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) that use child labour.
It accused carmakers including GM, Renault-Nissan, Fiat Chrysler, Volkswagen, Daimler and Tesla of failing to map the supply of cobalt from... read more
- 13:38 Buckshaw retirement residents try out Virual Reality
- 13:37 FMQs: Sturgeon under pressure to apologise for ‘not being straight’...
- 13:37 Bearded Scotsman hunted by police in Cumbria disorder probe
- 13:37 VOTE: Derbyshire still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:37 Is this the best youth game ever? Watch stunning cup final comeback
- 13:36 Well known Doncaster town centre GP dies
- 13:36 Jermain Defoe signs three-year deal at Bournemouth worth £20m...16...
- 13:36 Smarty pants? Children with higher IQ at lower risk of dying from...
- 13:35 Sunderland sale collapses: Ellis Short to remain, Simon Grayson set...
- 13:35 Fire safety checks come back on Cumbrian high rises
- 13:35 6 reasons to leave it all behind and go to beautiful Dominica
- 13:35 John Carver tells Rafa Benitez to sign game-changers from Chelsea...
- 13:34 This Morning viewers INCONSOLABLE as couple get married LIVE up The...
- 13:34 Bemusement arcade
- 13:34 Nigeria: Ogoni widows sue Shell over military crackdown
- 13:34 New parents naming babies after politicians
- 13:34 Specs help give Brian gift of sight
- 13:33 Alexis Sanchez, Lionel Messi and Javier Hernandez – the 40 stars...
- 13:33 Thrill-seekers stuck in mid-air for '45 minutes' on Smiler ride at...
- 13:33 Liverpool Transfer News: Lemar contact made, Sessegnon snub,...
- 13:32 15 treats you can get for free on your birthday
- 13:32 Battle to save Bowland’s skydancers
- 13:32 VOTE: Notts still supports smoking ban 10 years on
- 13:32 Pub bombings families face fresh wait to see if suspects will be...
- 13:32 Watch: Shock moment bank raiders smash silver 4x4 into bank
- 13:31 Nuneaton paedophile jailed for making more than 6,000 child abuse...
- 13:31 It's sofa so good for new furniture store
- 13:31 Donate your old phones to students
- 13:31 Classroom hero award is music to Sir's ears
- 13:30 Uber says never told self-driving car executive to take Waymo files