Child brides: The Syrian girls pushed into early marriage
Child marriage is on the rise among Syrian refugees. Without the means to provide for their families, parents are arranging matches for children as young as 12.
Dressed in a bright pink hijab, 16-year-old Rime (not her real name) sits quietly in a classroom as other young girls arrive.
They are here for a lesson for refugee women and girls to help them better understand the dangers of child marriage. The classes are run by Save the Children charity and all those gathered here married at young ages.
For Rime it was last year, when she was 15.
"I never wanted to get married young,"... read more
- 12:28 'A single angry man will not change UK,' says Lincolnshire MP
- 12:28 MP describes Prime Minister 'bundled away' in terror alert
- 12:28 Aid convoys get through to districts of Mosul freed from Islamic State
- 12:28 'It's terrible' - ex-Echo reporter speaks of shock after Parliament...
- 12:28 Future of Lincoln shop at risk as Brantano enters administration
- 12:28 Work to improve two Kenilworth parks set to start soon
- 12:28 TLC are coming to the UK for the very first time and this is not...
- 12:27 MP who served with murdered Pc Keith Palmer gives emotional speech...
- 12:27 Isis claims responsibility for London terror attack
- 12:27 'I'm not a hero' - brave Gateshead boxing coach who battled to save...
- 12:27 ‘Our pupils and our staff are fantastic day in and day out’
- 12:26 Raided bank could become new shops
- 12:26 Injuries prove costly as Moor slip to first defeat of season at...
- 12:26 Fit-again defender throws his hat in Pools’ ring for Blackpool trip
- 12:25 Police seize £68 million worth of cocaine branded with Lionel...
- 12:25 Liverpool star Georginio Wijnaldum threw up after clashing heads in...
- 12:25 Man accused of attempted murder after woman stabbed in park does...
- 12:24 COMPETITION Win one of three £80 meals at PizzaExpress
- 12:24 Exclusive - Liberty House mulls stake in troubled Italian steel...
- 12:24 Holly Willoughby fumes as she’s grilled about pregnancy rumours:...
- 12:24 Kylian Mbappe tells Monaco this about his future amid Man United...
- 12:24 More information needed about controversial landfill site at former...
- 12:24 EU support among Germans reaches 25-year high, survey shows
- 12:24 Mansfield mayor: Terror attacks were ‘too close for comfort’
- 12:24 It’s time we all treated the NHS with respect
- 12:23 Nottingham 'gig' postponed due to Parliament terrorist attack
- 12:22 Westminster terror attack: Rugby man nearly hit by car on bridge
- 12:21 Google urged by judge to 'take responsibility' in fight against...
- 12:21 Why you could be getting a pay rise from April 1
- 12:21 Blackpool students compete for digital future