Chernobyl disaster: Giant shield begins move towards reactor
Work has begun at Chernobyl in Ukraine to move a giant shield over the site of the world's worst nuclear accident.
The concrete and steel arch will eventually cover the remains of the reactor which lost its roof in a catastrophic explosion in 1986.
The blast sent a plume of radioactive material into the air, triggering a public health emergency across Europe.
The shield is designed to prevent further radioactive material leaking out over the next century.
It measures 275m (900ft) wide and 108m (354ft) tall and has cost $1.6bn (£1.3bn) to construct.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and... read more
- 07:26 Sol Campbell identifies TWO defenders Arsenal should target...
- 07:26 Skiing on timetable for Ilkeston pupils
- 07:23 Olympus scandal: Former bosses to pay $529m over fraud
- 07:23 Barclays profits more than double
- 07:21 £3million fund to boost Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire’s rural economy
- 07:21 BUXTON SPRING FAIR 2017: What’s on when and where
- 07:21 Middlesbrough ace Adam Forshaw: This is why we are playing with...
- 07:21 Liverpool Transfer News: £10m ace wanted, Bayern Munich battle,...
- 07:21 Female Islamic clerics in Indonesia issue rare child marriage fatwa
- 07:21 Breaking news, travel and weather updates around Notts on Friday,...
- 07:20 Teacher ‘shot by two pupils in school corridor’
- 07:20 Hull LIVE! Rail strike hits commuters
- 07:19 Prostate cancer update: Drinking THIS can HALVE your risk
- 07:19 Manchester United suffer Timothy Fosu-Mensah injury blow
- 07:19 Marouane Fellaini: Man United star must do this after red card -...
- 07:18 Emmerdale spoilers: Goodbye Pierce? Boss reveals what happens next...
- 07:18 Emmerdale boss speaks out on Robron drama as special episode is...
- 07:18 Star drops huge Liverpool transfer hint: Reds fans will love this
- 07:17 BREAKING: Pedestrian dies after Mansfield moped crash
- 07:16 VIDEO: Brave Chorley newsagent fights off knifeman with old police...
- 07:16 Two men charged with criminal damage after incident at BAE
- 07:16 Paul Carrack steps out of the shadows of Mike & The Mechanics to...
- 07:16 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:16 Knights of Malta draw battle lines after clash with pope
- 07:14 Scotland under-17s have ability to be European champions, says...
- 07:14 Cricket: East Kilbride ready to unleash new signings in opener
- 07:14 Airdrieonians captain Iain Russell wants to call the season a...
- 07:13 Steelbacks' showing was 'pretty grim', says Ripley
- 07:12 RBS reports first quarter profit as turnaround continues
- 07:12 Fish disease outbreak closes fishing lakes