Check out our amazing wartime photo showing trainee Derby bus conductresses
Do you remember the time when most of Derby's buses had conductors and conductresses who took fares and issued tickets?
This great photograph, from our archive, was taken in 1940 during the Second World War. It shows a group of women who were training to be conductresses in Derby with Trent Motor Traction Ltd.
Bus conducting and even driving was one of many jobs which were taken over by women during the war as men enlisted with the forces and went off to fight overseas.
Many older readers will recall that the conductresses were often affectionately known as "Duckies". We don't... read more
- 11:51 This Morning viewers in UPROAR as massive technical failure causes...
- 11:51 Corby’s speeding hotspots to be tackled in Road Safety Week
- 11:50 Leonard under fire for trying to take credit for BiFab deal
- 11:50 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:49 How to get rid of BAD BREATH: These foods could cause bad oral hygiene
- 11:49 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:48 Recruitment roadshow for aspiring teachers set to come to Coventry...
- 11:47 Leeds pensioners die after crash in the Dales
- 11:47 Road hogs are clogging up motorway’s middle lane
- 11:47 Labour leader says Party refused Kezia Dugdale permission to go on...
- 11:47 North Sea oil industry could be boosted by change in Budget
- 11:46 Fuel prices are slashed at Morrisons
- 11:46 Name released of man, 52, killed in crash as coroner prepares to...
- 11:46 Berwick victory sees them climb to third
- 11:46 Everton FC striker Oumar Niasse on the penalty decision that...
- 11:45 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United line up £40m move for Danny Rose,...
- 11:44 Man kicks off after chippy staff pour gravy on his chips in Manchester
- 11:44 Alcester firm is region’s top exporter
- 11:44 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:44 Popular Doncaster pub closes down for refurbishment amid Facebook...
- 11:43 Charles Bronson's new wife defends controversial wedding as she...
- 11:43 Man in serious condition after Scarborough assault
- 11:43 Carlisle's city centre Argos to close
- 11:43 Weather warning of rain issued for Cumbria
- 11:43 Buchanan insists Cobblers confidence remains high despite...
- 11:42 Hepatitis A vaccinations at nursery after child contracts illness
- 11:42 Why Black Friday ‘deals’ aren't always what they seem
- 11:42 ‘Step in, pause, and fix Universal Credit’, Batley and Spen MP...
- 11:42 Delays on M53 near Chester after skip wagon sheds load
- 11:42 Update: Man charged with Knightcote murder