Charlie and the Chocolate factory to be translated into Scots
An author has translated Roald Dahl’s iconic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - into Scots.
Novelist Matthew Fitt translated the children’s classic because there are too few books for young Scots to read in their own language.
Scots is a West Germanic dialect spoken in Scotland.
It was the language of the medieval Scottish court, spoken by Mary Queen of Scots and James VI.
Now there are 1.6 million speakers of Scots.
Although Roald Dahl’s works have been translated into 58 different languages worldwide, this will be the first time the book has been available in Scots.
The 47-year-old from... read more
- 13:14 More than 1,000 new jobs could be on the way to East Midlands Airport
- 13:13 £140,000 cost of bid to take over fire service
- 13:13 Poorly James missed the Queen in Hull due to hospital - now he...
- 13:13 The five-star Yorkshire monastery where the monks will have...
- 13:13 Harrogate takes on the bullies at schools
- 13:13 Revealed: Info on new panto at Harrogate Theatre
- 13:13 Harrogate leads the way in empowering women who have had a mastectomy
- 13:13 Watch as HGV sends car spinning across four lanes of M74 near...
- 13:13 Tributes to Newcastle professor who 'changed the way dental...
- 13:13 Parents' fury as sold-out £2.99 Christmas toy goes for £50 on eBay
- 13:13 'I'll leave you dead on your mattress' Teenage rapist's vile rap...
- 13:12 IN COURT: Retford cases
- 13:12 Sheffield pupils comes face to feather with night owls
- 13:12 Vow Bridal Gallery win top wedding award
- 13:10 Midwinter unveiling: group’s new name
- 13:09 Adam Lallana travels with Liverpool squad to Spain ahead of...
- 13:09 Former Liverpool FC defender is backed for big things
- 13:09 Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds is going on tour - and this is how...
- 13:09 Breast cancer tumours 'larger' in overweight women
- 13:09 Steve Cotterill's press conference LIVE: Middlesbrough v Birmingham...
- 13:08 Heroic former Northumbria Police officer gunned down in Canada laid...
- 13:08 Young people 'experimenting more in bed'
- 13:08 YP Letters: Allow councils to borrow to build homes
- 13:08 Louth Old Boys close in on top spot
- 13:07 Has Tony Pulis sacking changed Rangers and Scotland manager hunt...
- 13:07 Celtic target Liam Moore refuses to rule out move to Parkhead
- 13:07 Mum blasts 'holiday from hell' Pontins experience - and brands it a...
- 13:07 Family horrified as tree roots grow from baby's room wall council...
- 13:07 VIDEO: Bad driving in Derbyshire caught on camera
- 13:06 Music review: the RSNO & Thomas Søndergård