Charity criticises massive leap in number of children arrested by Greater Manchester Police
The number of children arrested by GMP has more than doubled in a year.
The rise from 2,517 in 2014 to 4,587 is a sharp reverse of a trend over the last four years which has seen the numbers dramatically fall.
The increase has been criticised by the penal reform group, the Howard League.
GMP say they have been ‘working tirelessly’ to reduce any ‘unnecessary’ child arrests.
Nationwide, police made 102,666 arrests of boys and girls aged 17 and under during 2015 - a 58 per cent reduction in five years. Many forces have reviewed their arrest procedures and policies after working with the Howard... read more
- 09:54 Knight’s Days: the Life at Westminster column with Sir Greg Knight
- 09:53 New anti-Brexit party focuses on single council to try and...
- 09:53 Fundraiser for Masterchef contestant who died in London Marathon...
- 09:52 Neymar ‘tells’ Real Madrid to complete Chelsea and Man Utd deals...
- 09:51 WATCH: Aston Villa boss Steve Bruce talks Derby and the latest team...
- 09:51 West Brom emerge as a favourite to sign former Wolves man
- 09:51 Blackpool: From the courts 27-04-18
- 09:51 Simon Weston dinner axed over low ticket sales
- 09:50 ‘We need darkness for our health’ councillors claim as they approve...
- 09:50 Beyonce, Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams did not have to slay...
- 09:49 The best historic halls in Lancashire
- 09:49 UK growth in first quarter falls to 0.1%, says ONS
- 09:48 RBS profits treble to £792million in early 2018, as taxpayer-backed...
- 09:48 Burnley MP backs local 'health and care heroes' for NHS birthday...
- 09:48 World Snooker Championship 2018 LIVE: Updates from Ronnie...
- 09:47 Leamington celebrate survival
- 09:46 The best historic halls in Lancashire
- 09:45 The EFL and Football Supporters Federation launch new fan survey on...
- 09:45 Giannis Antetokounmpo shines as Bill Clinton watches from courtside...
- 09:45 Premier League team news, odds and stats from every match this weekend
- 09:44 Burnley MP backs local 'health and care heroes' for NHS birthday...
- 09:44 Watch drink driver's wild ride which was caught on her own dash cam
- 09:44 DERBYSHIRE: Safeguarding training for taxi and bus drivers
- 09:43 Staff, students and parents at a Cumbria school have condemned the...
- 09:43 Carlisle's historic Waverley Viaduct set to reopen as river crossing
- 09:43 Have you seen missing Spalding man Szymon Janczewski?
- 09:42 Tributes paid to young Leeds man killed in Doncaster horror smash
- 09:42 Double-amputee climbs 2,700 steps using just her arms
- 09:42 Caught on camera in Leeds: Can you help police identify these people?
- 09:42 FEATURE: 'How HS2 has affected my life for the last seven years’