Cervical cancer: gap between screenings ‘can be increased to 10 years’
The length of time between cervical screenings can safely be extended to a decade for some women, research suggests.
The findings from researchers in the Netherlands show that for women over the age of 40 who test negative for the human papillomavirus (HPV), the gap between screening rounds could be increased to 10 years.
Almost 900 women in the UK died from cervical cancer in 2014, with the disease the most common cancer among women aged between 15 and 34. Among the risk factors for the disease is infection with certain types of HPV.
Women in the UK are currently invited for their first... read more
- 20:20 YOUR VIEW: We deserve a lot better from BT
- 20:18 Trump vows 35% tax for US firms that move jobs overseas
- 20:17 WATCH: Second World War veteran tells his incredible story of...
- 20:13 France's Amundi likely winner in bid for UniCredit's Pioneer - sources
- 20:13 California warehouse fire death toll rises to 24
- 20:11 Let there be lights – and lasers – at Hogmanay tribute to 70th...
- 20:10 A far-right populist has just lost the Austrian presidential election
- 20:10 GALLERY: Festive extravaganza in Dalton for Christmas lights switch-on
- 20:09 Strictly dance-off scare as pair foxtrot into semi-final
- 20:09 Everton finally showed the aggression Ronald Koeman wants from them...
- 20:06 Blues legend: This Chelsea star has got his mojo back... he stunned...
- 20:01 Win a Wedding couple tie the knot in Derby
- 20:01 Police officer who put the wrong fuel in vehicle is sacked for...
- 19:58 Marouane Fellaini gets the Twitter treatment after Manchester...
- 19:54 Kerry says would be valuable for Trump to seek advice before calls
- 19:50 Hull City's David Marshall excited to be sharing field with...
- 19:50 Middlesbrough v Hull City match preview, team news, betting tips...
- 19:49 Police close Northumberland road after accident
- 19:49 Trial of Bosnian Serb commander Mladic enters final stage
- 19:48 Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius 'transmits anxiety' through...
- 19:45 Edward VIII would’ve been a ‘useless king’, claims historian
- 19:45 British actor Tony Gardner contracts Zika virus
- 19:45 Name and opening date unveiled for new housing estate on eye former...
- 19:45 BT ‘must improve customer service for broadband users’
- 19:45 Iceland and Iceland at a stalemate over trademark dispute
- 19:44 Sebastian Vettel denies he's in pole position to replace F1...
- 19:41 Polzeath holidaymaker dies after being pulled from sea
- 19:40 Far-right candidate beaten in Austrian presidential vote
- 19:38 Foul or dive? Do these pictures prove Marouane Fellaini deserved to...
- 19:37 Five fire crews tackle 'massive' blaze in Bridgnorth town centre