Centrica issues profit warning amid customer exodus
British Gas has lost 823,000 - nearly 6% - of domestic customer accounts since the end of June.
Owner Centrica said 150,000 of those accounts had switched to other providers, some of them because it raised prices in September.
The news, unveiled in a warning about poor trading, sent Centrica shares tumbling by 17%.
Centrica said operating profits would be "lower than expected" because of problems at both its UK and US arms.
British Gas has 13.1 million customer accounts.
Centrica said 650,000 of the customer accounts it had lost were as a result of so-called "collective... read more
- 16:24 Snails too 'sluggish' to race in Devon due to cold
- 16:24 A Peaky Blinders party is going to Leeds
- 16:24 Anxious wait for Mansfield workers as Maplin goes up for sale
- 16:24 Crowds flock to Wakefield as rhubarb festival begins
- 16:23 Poor design prompts planning refusal
- 16:23 SMALL CAP MOVERS: Jet2 owner soars 22% after raising profit...
- 16:23 CCFC to play in black armbands in memory of Corey and Casper
- 16:23 Secret world of the credit ratings unmasked – and why it could be...
- 16:23 LED lights on road crossings could prevent 7,000 accidents...
- 16:23 Buying a house as a long-term investment? Here's why it might not...
- 16:22 Vale of Belvoir lawyer chosen to lead dispute platform relocation
- 16:22 Deeping St James burglar loses High Court appeal
- 16:22 Prisma nightclub closed after gun and knife pulled during violent...
- 16:22 Man faces £730 bill for dumping rubbish in Bridlington
- 16:22 Two days of ‘persistent snow’ forecast for Northamptonshire with...
- 16:22 Police appeal over criminal damage and graffiti in Dronfield
- 16:21 FIFA release statement on Neymar’s £23m dispute with Barcelona
- 16:21 Tottenham expected XI: Mauricio Pochettino to field this 4-2-3-1...
- 16:21 VIDEO: Sir Vince Cable urges firms to back £1m Weston Park Cancer...
- 16:21 12 protesters found guilty
- 16:20 Pep Guardiola charged by FA after Manchester City boss wore ribbon...
- 16:20 Catch of the day is... unexploded grenade
- 16:20 Three Cumbria chefs named as Roux Scholarship regional finalists
- 16:19 Catch of the day is... unexploded grenade
- 16:19 Pub’s licence under threat over violence
- 16:19 Drink-driver angry over 'bad date' left four injured after head-on...
- 16:19 Concern for missing man last seen in Coventry
- 16:19 Ejector seat firm fined £1.1million over death of Coventry Red...
- 16:18 Have your say on Bodicote crime
- 16:17 Two days of ‘persistent snow’ forecast for Northamptonshire with...