Central bankers have 'lost the plot', former UK Conservative Party leader says
Unless central bankers stop sowing discord by inflating a bubble with make-believe money, the world's top central banks will find their independence challenged, former Conservative Party leader William Hague was quoted as saying on Tuesday.
"Central banks collectively have now indeed lost the plot," Hague, a former foreign minister, said in an article in the Daily Telegraph newspaper. "They are blowing up a bubble of make-believe money to avoid immediate pain, except for penalising the poor and the prudent."
"Like doctors keeping their patients on a drip many years... read more
- 10:10 Stolen car rolls down hill and crashes into parked car in Kirk Hallam
- 10:10 Revealed: Number of schoolchildren in Nuneaton and Bedworth set to...
- 10:10 Moana to make ice skating debut as Disney on Ice heads to Newcastle
- 10:10 Four charged over cockfighting: Police release images of three men...
- 10:09 Care home future in turmoil after sale collapse
- 10:09 Can health services work together? - 'Teamwork' bid for struggling...
- 10:09 Top class turnaround for primary school's inspection
- 10:08 Kenilworth MP praises 'dignity' of family after medical cannabis...
- 10:08 Embattled tool hire group HSS secures refinancing package as it...
- 10:07 Eyemouth lifeboat crew rescue labradoodle
- 10:07 'Exceptional' ancient ring collection to be auctioned
- 10:07 Boys 13 and 15 held over triple Liverpool stabbing
- 10:07 'Knife held to baby's throat' in Coventry robbery
- 10:07 New parents are averaging less than five hours sleep a night
- 10:05 Top class turnaround for primary school's inspection
- 10:05 Man arrested in Bury New Road, Prestwich, after gun fired at...
- 10:05 Mystery still surrounds identity of Barnsley murder victim
- 10:04 Hull man's fury as 'speeding' bus forces his van off the road
- 10:03 Upskirting ban ‘will also apply to kilts’
- 10:03 Fact check: the truth about the US economy
- 10:02 Young people 'see cannabis as safer than alcohol'
- 10:01 Burton MP Andrew Griffiths calls for changes after his pregnant...
- 10:01 Cumbria police become first UK force to use new technology for...
- 10:00 Sale of Northants County Council’s former HQ put on hold
- 09:59 Former Lancashire private school teacher jailed for making sick...
- 09:58 Chelsea next manager: Maurizio Sarri confirmed as Antonio Conte...
- 09:58 Brexit: May faces 'meaningful vote' crunch day - Politics live
- 09:58 Jorginho to Man City: Agent talks held today as Chelsea eye £47m...
- 09:57 How might Chester FC's £1million donation from Stuart Murphy be...
- 09:55 Ulverston chef to compete on BBC's Great British Menu