Celebrating goals in World Cup qualifier BANNED by Iran over clash with Muslim holiday
Religious authorities had asked FIFA to change the date of the eagerly anticipated clash between Iran and South Korea tonight because it coincides with a sacred religious holiday.
Both teams are playing in the Azadi Stadium in Tehran after FIFA rejected the proposals, but the clergy has continued to put pressure on the government over the match.
Now fans have been prevented from celebrating goals or a win for their national team, as it would go against the values of mourning promoted by the sacred festival.
Today Iran is celebrating the sacred holiday of Tasu'a, when Shia Muslims mourn the... read more
- 14:35 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:34 Hollywood star Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson recreates embarrassing...
- 14:34 Sheffield hero 'jumped out of way of blazing gas canister' to alert...
- 14:34 Manchester terror attack: The victims and those who are still missing
- 14:34 Victims of Manchester attack named
- 14:33 Thousands of pounds of car buyer's cash stolen
- 14:32 Parent calls meeting over her concerns over a Doncaster school
- 14:32 Man, 87, jailed for historical abuse on young girls
- 14:32 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 14:31 Mum hits out at school bans on fidget spinners
- 14:31 TRAVEL: All trains at a standstill after signal fault at...
- 14:31 Buxton mum performs at Royal Albert Hall with Beach Boys
- 14:30 Manchester bomber was a ‘mule’ using explosive made by...
- 14:30 Mother Michelle Kiss named as victim of Manchester Arena terror attack
- 14:30 Poignant memories and warm welcome on Falklands return trip
- 14:29 Ronald Koeman looking to add creativity to his Everton squad this...
- 14:29 PLAYER RATINGS: Steven Gerrard looks good during Liverpool's win...
- 14:25 This bride got married on the same day as Pippa Middleton – in the...
- 14:25 Community spirit in Manchester is not surprising but it is...
- 14:25 German shipping group Hapag Lloyd completes merger with Arab peer UASC
- 14:25 Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service seeks apprentices
- 14:25 Parent calls meeting over her concerns over a Doncaster school
- 14:24 Elephant walkabout trumpets play’s arrival in Northampton
- 14:24 London stock exchange commends Northampton company as one of the...
- 14:24 New presenter for 2017 LOVE Northumberland Awards
- 14:22 Manchester attack: Bomber was criminal who had 'no religion' says...
- 14:22 Northumbrians enjoy a comfortable retirement, new research suggests
- 14:22 County mum confirmed as killed in Manchester bomb attack
- 14:22 Birmingham Pride to hold a minute's silence in memory of Manchester...
- 14:19 These are the rare coins that could make you richer