Celebrating goals in World Cup qualifier BANNED by Iran over clash with Muslim holiday
Religious authorities had asked FIFA to change the date of the eagerly anticipated clash between Iran and South Korea tonight because it coincides with a sacred religious holiday.
Both teams are playing in the Azadi Stadium in Tehran after FIFA rejected the proposals, but the clergy has continued to put pressure on the government over the match.
Now fans have been prevented from celebrating goals or a win for their national team, as it would go against the values of mourning promoted by the sacred festival.
Today Iran is celebrating the sacred holiday of Tasu'a, when Shia Muslims mourn the... read more
- 09:51 Foul-mouthed parent rants at woman after school parking complaint
- 09:51 Kanye West pays tribute to wife Kim Kardashian in emotional...
- 09:51 Australians rally for refugees in stand against far-right sentiment
- 09:50 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:50 Train derails and overturns in Cameroon killing at least 53 and...
- 09:50 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at north Cumbrian school's...
- 09:49 Fire crews release casualty trapped in machinery at Dyke
- 09:47 BREAKING: Murder probe as British man found tied to Malaga airport...
- 09:46 Pet shop owner fined over waste disposal shambles
- 09:46 Orionids meteor shower: how to see this weekend’s spectacle
- 09:46 Bus wars: Arriva responds to YourBus competition with refurbished...
- 09:44 Oswestry skatepark death: Rave boss avoids being sent to jail
- 09:44 Shropshire netball official jailed for taking £50,000 of club funds...
- 09:44 Property damaged in chip pan fire
- 09:42 Firebugs cause more damage to playground
- 09:42 Warning after youths seen with fireworks at park
- 09:42 Cash grant will help Carlisle nursery replace flood damaged equipment
- 09:42 Former X Factor boy band Union J perform at Cumbrian school's prize...
- 09:40 Arsenal star Laurent Koscielny: This is how Arsene Wenger proved...
- 09:40 Marcus Rashford: Chelsea are just like Manchester United
- 09:38 Fundraising appeal to save Cantelupe Centre from closure gains...
- 09:38 You can ‘bank’ on volunteers to revamp school play area
- 09:36 Travel review: Hit the north to discover the real Portugal
- 09:36 Cumbria County Council to hike taxes by four per cent every year...
- 09:36 'Furness General Hospital staff made me feel like a criminal' says...
- 09:36 Crackdown on problems at Barrow block of flats revealed
- 09:36 Ben Taylor's videos are a MASTERCLASS in Yorkshire dialect
- 09:35 Prison worker denies collecting inmate's semen in affair allegation
- 09:35 Woman arrested in connection with historical child sex offences bailed
- 09:34 Big charity total raised by store staff