Catholic priest accused of fraud to go on trial next year
A Roman Catholic priest is to stand trial facing allegations of fraud after he was accused of diverting money donated to his church by parishioners.
Father John Reid, 69, from Stockton , was today told his trial would be held in May next year.
The parish priest is facing two charges after being arrested more than two years ago.
He is accused of abusing his position as a parish priest by channelling money donated by parishioners intended for charitable causes and the upkeep of St Cuthbert’s Church, Chester-le-Street, to himself.
Durham Crown Court heard he is also charged with failing to... read more
- 09:55 How to recover after being made redundant
- 09:55 Using a McDonalds drive thru could land you a £1,000 FINE and a...
- 09:55 Maiden flight of China-built amphibious aircraft set for May
- 09:55 Vietnam labels Taiwan drills on disputed island 'serious violation'
- 09:55 Former Aston Villa target is primed for a promotion push
- 09:55 Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez, Man United talisman Zlatan...
- 09:55 Arsene Wenger 'clear in his mind' about his Arsenal future as...
- 09:55 Idyllic Derbyshire village earmarked for even more housing
- 09:54 Holbeach mum launch £180,000 fundraising effort to improve town parks
- 09:54 Twenty-two new homes plan for Law’s Yard in Spalding
- 09:54 7 arrested by police in drugs raid on the East Marsh
- 09:54 Master’s 40 years with the hallmark of quality
- 09:53 Neil Lennon insists he is innocent after bitter bust-up with Morton...
- 09:52 Russell Brand makes his return to live radio after 8 years with...
- 09:52 Charlotte Crosby explains marks on her face during romantic trip to...
- 09:52 Russell Crowe fires back at body shamer Howard Stern and we salute him
- 09:52 Sky Blues at Wembley: All the latest news and build-up as Coventry...
- 09:52 Jose Mourinho eyes Andrea Belotti if Manchester United move for...
- 09:52 Paul Scholes: This is where Man United will finish under Jose Mourinho
- 09:52 Fantasy Football Tips: The best captain options assessed for...
- 09:52 Arsene Wenger admits his Arsenal future is not completely sorted
- 09:52 Latest Chesterfield magistrates’ court results
- 09:51 Youngsters hit the target with James Bond style celebration
- 09:51 Warwick School crowned NatWest Schools Cup champions
- 09:51 Why buying these five everyday items at supermarkets is a bad idea
- 09:51 Former Olympic velodrome re-opens for 125th anniversary
- 09:50 Head to step aside to concentrate on opening new school
- 09:50 Allison’s charity zipline challenge
- 09:50 Festival of wool crafts
- 09:50 Join Oscar in space