Catacombs inside Sir John Soane's historic London home are open to the public for the first time in almost 180 years after £7million restoration
Sir John Soane might be best known for designing the Bank of England building and Dulwich Picture Gallery but it's arguably his own home that holds the architect's best works.
The property in central London, now the Sir John Soane's Museum, was built by the architect to house his collectibles.
Now, for the first time in almost 180 years since Soane's death, visitors are able to see the items, including the collection of Roman funeral urns in the catacombs, as the museum unveils its 'lost spaces'.
There are 365 objects on display at Sir John Soane's Museum that haven't been on public display... read more
- 06:04 Factory worker was trapped between two machines, inquest told
- 06:04 Day-long powercut affected 140 homes in Wakefield
- 06:03 Police take action at Bidford Bridge
- 06:01 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho reveals transfer plans for summer that...
- 05:56 Factory worker was trapped between two machines, inquest told
- 05:53 Arsenal star Shkodran Mustafi breaks silence on transfer talk with...
- 05:49 Arsene Wenger RIGHT to quit Arsenal, says man who appointed Gunners...
- 05:49 Liverpool vs Roma: Why Mohamed Salah will NOT be the biggest threat...
- 05:49 Thierry Henry reveals Arsenal change under Arsene Wenger, opens up...
- 05:49 Chelsea prepare £65m summer move for Serie A star Kalidou Koulibaly
- 05:49 Pep Guardiola to make statement summer signing: Hazard, Mbappe and...
- 05:41 Sadiq Khan demands VW compensate Londoners and TfL
- 05:38 Foreign aid should be spent on preventing 1.3m road deaths...
- 05:35 Toronto van attack: Suspect quizzed after 10 pedestrians killed
- 05:31 Lakes MP calls for Northern to be stripped of franchise
- 05:28 Multi-million pound expansion plans for promotional bag firm Direct...
- 05:18 How you reacted to the Big Brexit Survey
- 05:16 'Uncontrollable grief' of Kim Jong-un over North Korea bus disaster
- 05:16 Hillary Clinton unleashed foul-mouthed tirade in Trump debate prep...
- 05:16 Syria: western nations may seek to bypass Russian veto at UN
- 05:16 Berlin museum offers glimpse of Leni Riefenstahl estate
- 05:12 Alfie's Army try to storm hospital after European Court rejects...
- 05:09 The surprising A-level language choices Coventry students are making
- 05:07 Australian boy flies solo to Bali 'after row over holiday'
- 05:07 Kim Jong-un's 'bitter sorrow' as bus crash kills Chinese tourists
- 05:05 Will Prince Harry and Meghan's children be princes and princesses?
- 05:05 Friends set up events to raise funds for terminal Leicester mum's...
- 05:01 Tory welfare reforms responsible for sending Scots to food banks
- 04:39 Jeremy Corbyn set for crunch meeting with Jewish leaders
- 04:17 UN peacekeepers accused of child rape in South Sudan