Catacombs inside Sir John Soane's historic London home are open to the public for the first time in almost 180 years after £7million restoration
Sir John Soane might be best known for designing the Bank of England building and Dulwich Picture Gallery but it's arguably his own home that holds the architect's best works.
The property in central London, now the Sir John Soane's Museum, was built by the architect to house his collectibles.
Now, for the first time in almost 180 years since Soane's death, visitors are able to see the items, including the collection of Roman funeral urns in the catacombs, as the museum unveils its 'lost spaces'.
There are 365 objects on display at Sir John Soane's Museum that haven't been on public display... read more
- 21:52 Moroccan boxing coach detained after raid for allegedly recruiting...
- 21:52 A look inside the world of Donald Trump
- 21:51 Shoppers urged to change passwords after Scottish hackers jailed...
- 21:49 Simone Zaza is Mr January and Dimitri Payet features in March......
- 21:46 Will bringing Cafe Dansant back be a good thing for our area? -...
- 21:46 Tributes pour in for much-loved mum-of-three who died on New Year's...
- 21:46 Bird flu confirmed at Lincolnshire turkey farm
- 21:46 Eight killed in attack on police checkpoint in Egypt's Western Desert
- 21:46 Labour MPs call on Jeremy Corbyn to give clearer message...
- 21:46 Former U.S. officials urge Trump to talk with Iranian MEK group
- 21:46 New Year nightclub attacker caught in Istanbul - Turkish media reports
- 21:46 Comp: Win a pair of tickets to Chelsea v Hull at Stamford Bridge on...
- 21:45 The Istanbul New Year’s Eve nightclub attacker ‘has been caught’
- 21:43 Istanbul Reina nightclub attacker 'captured'
- 21:42 Jamie Carragher identifies the area Chelsea can be exploited by...
- 21:40 Illegal angler fined for fishing without a licence
- 21:40 Tesco is recalling Butter Chicken product as it contains nuts
- 21:36 BREAKING: Turkish police capture New Year's eve ISIS nightclub gunman
- 21:34 Liverpool legend slams Manchester United for "lack of class" in Old...
- 21:34 Thierry Henry: Why Chelsea's 3-4-3 system is so effective
- 21:33 Ivory Coast police fire teargas to disperse protesting students
- 21:32 Pregnancy weight gain not linked to early death in adulthood
- 21:32 Gentler exercise ‘can be just as effective’ as intense activity
- 21:31 'Wicked' man, 78, jailed for historic sex offences against children...
- 21:31 Blue Monday: 17 reasons why Derby folk should be cheerful in 2017
- 21:26 Boy, 17, admits Birmingham taxi stone attack
- 21:24 Mark Carney: Household debt and consumer spending a key focus amid...
- 21:24 Man in court admits hiring a prostitute in Derbyshire
- 21:22 Chelsea close to agreeing major striker deal - Sky Sports reporter
- 21:22 Businesses throw support behind £1m action plan for Derby's St...