Catacombs inside Sir John Soane's historic London home are open to the public for the first time in almost 180 years after £7million restoration
Sir John Soane might be best known for designing the Bank of England building and Dulwich Picture Gallery but it's arguably his own home that holds the architect's best works.
The property in central London, now the Sir John Soane's Museum, was built by the architect to house his collectibles.
Now, for the first time in almost 180 years since Soane's death, visitors are able to see the items, including the collection of Roman funeral urns in the catacombs, as the museum unveils its 'lost spaces'.
There are 365 objects on display at Sir John Soane's Museum that haven't been on public display... read more
- 05:49 The North Wales £520k house price gulf just over a mile wide
- 05:49 EFL Cup final: Which clubs have won the competition most often?
- 05:44 Australia, Indonesia restore full military ties, see progress on trade
- 05:44 Egypt annoyed as Britain continues suspension of flights
- 05:43 Newcastle vs Sunderland - which city's residents are most likely to...
- 05:43 Time for a talk talk with Talk Talk over the way they handle...
- 05:43 Got an appointment with Scottish Power? They might not turn up
- 05:43 Question Time is coming to Sunderland: How can I get in the audience?
- 05:43 From birdwatching to chess… favourite hobbies of each Prem club's...
- 05:43 Manchester United v Southampton combined XI: Who makes the cut...
- 05:39 'Bursting point' NHS has missed bed targets for five years - Labour
- 05:39 Booze touts, bonking and 'professional beggars': Is it time to...
- 05:39 Monster who raped two girls was previously jailed over £115,000...
- 05:38 Minister unveils name of North Yorkshire Sirius Minerals mine
- 05:37 Arsenal setback: Potential Arsene Wenger replacement could become...
- 05:31 IS threat to UK as great as the IRA's in the 70s - terror...
- 05:31 Top bosses! Which managers have won the EFL Cup since 1992?
- 05:31 Watch in awe as man detonates cage full of fireworks in his garden
- 05:21 New bistro open for business in Lincolnshire town
- 05:17 Eric Cantona discusses Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Why he's so important...
- 05:02 Stoke boss Mark Hughes has his say on Dele Alli's horror tackle
- 05:02 David Haye wants to end Tony Bellew's career in front of his family
- 04:55 Ernie is laid to rest at the winning post
- 04:52 Jeremy Corbyn 'determined to finish job'
- 04:48 Homes approved for garden
- 04:43 Pokemon Go APK reveals more news on shiny Gen 2 Pocket Monsters
- 03:49 Cesar Azpilicueta wants more trophies to earn label of Chelsea legend
- 03:49 Fernerbahce ready to listen to offers of £13million for Chelsea...
- 03:44 Ministers criticised over named person consultation
- 03:44 £165m Manchester tramline set to open