Case of boys' 1980 Whiston murder reopened
Police have reopened the case of two 11-year-old friends murdered in Merseyside 36 years ago.
John Greenwood and Gary Miller died after being found beaten and hidden under a mattress on a rubbish tip in Whiston on 16 August 1980.
A man was tried for their murders in 1981, but found not guilty.
Police are making a fresh appeal for anybody who saw the boys on the day of the murders after receiving new information.
A dog walker found the schoolfriends at about 19.20 BST at the site of a disused colliery on Pottery Lane, which is now Stadt Moers Park.
'Fight for justice' They both later died at... read more
- 20:16 Canova Bust of Peace on sale in first public outing in 200 years
- 20:11 Mohamed Salah injury: Liverpool team-mate aims sly dig at ‘clever’...
- 20:09 Person in critical condition as 15 people hospitalised after Mutiny...
- 20:08 Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba tells Mino Raiola to start...
- 20:03 Air ambulance lands on carriageway after after car overturns on...
- 20:02 Former US President George HW Bush hospitalised for low blood...
- 20:00 VIDEO: Stranded porpoise rescued from Morecambe Bay beach
- 19:51 Cinque Terre: on the trail of Italy's famous five
- 19:44 Italy PM-designate Conte gives up bid for government
- 19:42 Saints centre Francis earns praise from England boss Jones
- 19:42 Damage caused as burglars target Bijou nightclub in Bingley
- 19:42 Northants suffer narrow defeat against Durham
- 19:42 Northants skipper Wakely: We have it all to do
- 19:42 Jessie Harrington aims Irish 1,000 Guineas victor Alpha Centauri at...
- 19:40 Liverpool stars SLAMMED by Paul Scholes for crying in Real Madrid...
- 19:40 Loris Karius: Police probe death threats aimed at Liverpool star...
- 19:33 Former president George HW Bush admitted to hospital in Maine
- 19:33 Italy's PM-designate Giuseppe Conte fails to form populist government
- 19:32 Air ambulance lands on carriageway after after car overturns on...
- 19:30 Chris Ashton hat-trick makes forceful point in Barbarians defeat of...
- 19:29 Woman's body removed from Hartlepool shop
- 19:29 Anatomy of a police shooting: the final hours of Elijah Holcombe
- 19:29 Police appeal over criminal damage to car in Barrow
- 19:29 Lightning strike damages Henley building
- 19:25 Last-ball agony for Red Rose in cup collision
- 19:23 Sergio Ramos fires warning to Cristiano Ronaldo after Real Madrid’s...
- 19:22 Now for Northern Ireland
- 19:19 Richest taxpayers get $12.7bn windfall from Coalition plan,...
- 19:16 Mohamed Salah ‘confident’ of being fit in time for World Cup finals
- 19:09 Abortion vote heaps pressure on May to liberalise laws in Northern...