Care homes could close across Cumbria
New plans to shut seven care homes, including three in Carlisle and four in Copeland, have been unveiled.
They will be replaced with a single new-build home in each district.
Those affected in Carlisle are Elizabeth Welsh House in Harraby, Langrigg House in Morton and Petteril House, Old Harraby, which can currently care for a total of 117 across the three sites.
The four homes affected in Copeland are Brackenthwaite and Pow Beck in Whitehaven, Castle Mount in Egremont and Dentholme at Cleator Moor. In August these had about 70 to 80 per cent occupancy.
Instead £6 million will be spent on a... read more
- 13:07 University is on top of the world
- 13:07 13 of the most dramatic photos from Storm Doris in Nottingham
- 13:07 Chaos as ambulances forced to divert away from Chorley A&E at night
- 13:07 Prosecco pancakes? Yes, they are a thing and here's how to make them
- 13:07 Appeal after theft of medication from car in Lancaster
- 13:07 Manchester United handed nightmare draw against Rostov in Europa...
- 13:07 Yoga in kilts is a cheeky success
- 13:06 Garden village plans spark interest from housing groups
- 13:06 Vietnamese goalkeeper who protested dodgy penalty by letting...
- 13:05 England v Italy in Six Nations 2017 - Kick-off time, teams and TV...
- 13:04 Landmark first for university department
- 13:04 Health kicks on offer at new Preston cafe
- 13:04 Samsung Display gets license to invest $2.5 billion more in...
- 13:03 Cloudflare bug data leak exposed
- 13:03 “Holy cr*p, people are stupid:” Walking Dead actor blasts minister...
- 13:03 Man jailed after Lapworth burglaries
- 13:03 Dad and unborn baby daughter to be buried together after...
- 13:02 Storm Doris: Your pictures reveal aftermath of 75mph winds that...
- 13:02 Police have sex while hearing of a robbery alert on cop radio in...
- 13:01 Long-suffering teen to finally receive life-saving kidney drug
- 13:01 Aide plays down reports Italy's Renzi wants June elections
- 13:01 Vienna court decides against detaining Ukrainian businessman Firtash
- 13:01 Students visit East Riding Apprenticeship Pathways event
- 13:01 How do you have yours? 12 ways to have pancakes this Shrove Tuesday
- 13:01 Vulcan bomber owners pledge aircraft's future to Doncaster - after...
- 13:01 Portugal could exit excessive deficit in spring - EU's Dombrovskis
- 13:00 EastEnders viewers crack up as Dot Branning accidentally looks up...
- 13:00 Chicken-lovers suspicious of KFC's 'clean-eating' burger made with...
- 12:59 Arsenal ready to battle Chelsea with approach for Monaco’s...
- 12:59 Bird flu confirmed near Cumbria