Care home fined £1.6million after resident, 91, froze to death in her room
A care home has been fined £1.6million after a woman froze to death while in her room.
Annie Barritt’s room was so cold that the temperature did not register on a standard thermometer when she was discovered by nurses.
Her body temperature was 25.3°C – hypothermia kicks in at 35°C, a court was told.
Judge Paul Batty QC said there had been ‘systematic, systemic failures’ at the home adding that when Mrs Barritt was brought into hospital ‘her body temperature was at a level barely compatible with human life’.
Mrs Barritt, who had dementia, had not been given any hot food or drink as she spent... read more
- 17:01 Two couples caught having sex in town centre flower bed
- 17:01 Wind blows opening date of New Forth Bridge back for a second time
- 17:01 Three teenage burglars shot dead in US
- 17:00 WATCH: Caught on camera: Do you know them?
- 17:00 Angelina Jolie says ‘there’s nothing else to fear’ and is focused...
- 16:58 G4S recalls prisoner electronic tags over faulty strap fears
- 16:58 West Brom team news: Key duo fit for Manchester United clash
- 16:58 'I don't want the manager's job' Steve Round gives a detailed...
- 16:58 Shoppers warned as Sainsbury's and M&S recall these products
- 16:58 Former Aston Villa star forced to flee to safety after Senegal's...
- 16:58 Slavery suspects handed court orders after police raids
- 16:57 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to give prolific young star a first-team...
- 16:57 Cara Delevingne and Kendall Jenner spotted at ‘trailer viewing’...
- 16:57 Who has picked up a new 12 sided pound coin today?
- 16:57 GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks up, dollar steady as markets await Fed speakers
- 16:57 Bolivia's Morales to return to Cuba for throat surgery
- 16:57 NATO and Russia to meet again, edge towards regular talks
- 16:57 Secret admirer? Cara Delevingne holds a red rose as she parties the...
- 16:57 Another day, another bikini! Victoria's Secret Angel Martha Hunt...
- 16:57 John Legend looks typically cool in a statement leather jacket as...
- 16:57 CVC to start clock on sale of German metering firm Ista - sources
- 16:57 Claire Sweeney puts on a casual display in workout wear as she...
- 16:57 Crescent Gardens set to become apartments and art gallery as...
- 16:57 'Feeling proud of it was such a gift': Daisy Lowe reflects on her...
- 16:56 Retired Rhyl paramedic died within a day of walking out of Ysbyty...
- 16:55 Reasons couples argue revealed
- 16:55 Lord's election hopes
- 16:55 Pets at Home will not be selling any rabbits this Easter
- 16:55 River Tyne booze cruise on inflatables criticised by police
- 16:55 EROTICA BRITANNIA OR EROICA BRITANNIA: Name of Derbyshire festival...