Care home fined £1.6million after resident, 91, froze to death in her room
A care home has been fined £1.6million after a woman froze to death while in her room.
Annie Barritt’s room was so cold that the temperature did not register on a standard thermometer when she was discovered by nurses.
Her body temperature was 25.3°C – hypothermia kicks in at 35°C, a court was told.
Judge Paul Batty QC said there had been ‘systematic, systemic failures’ at the home adding that when Mrs Barritt was brought into hospital ‘her body temperature was at a level barely compatible with human life’.
Mrs Barritt, who had dementia, had not been given any hot food or drink as she spent... read more
- 08:25 Colonel Kemp backs controversial deportation proposal: 'What's the...
- 08:24 Handing over the handlebars at cycle shop
- 08:24 Latest court reports from Kirklees Magistrates
- 08:24 Chief executive to leave Northumberland County Council
- 08:24 Burnley chairman Mike Garlick admits his club faces a battle to...
- 08:23 Council takes steps to get coach drivers using new facility
- 08:23 Town councillor criticises mayor for ditching civic party
- 08:23 Up to 5,000 troops ready to deploy as UK remains on 'critical'...
- 08:23 Paxton House set to celebrate anniversary
- 08:23 Tories' lead over Labour narrows in first poll since Manchester...
- 08:23 Sheffield hit-and-run driver in 'dark car' sought after knocking...
- 08:23 Go Outdoors to hold family fun day
- 08:23 China stocks end week higher, state-led buying offsets Moody's...
- 08:23 Road closed in Tutbury due to an accident involving one car
- 08:22 Engelbert Humperdinck new LP riding high in album charts
- 08:22 Michael Watson: Time to invest in making society better
- 08:21 Your guide to Bank Holiday opening times for Leeds pharmacies
- 08:21 Former school pays respects to Hartlepool mum killed in Manchester...
- 08:21 Meet the 'butterfly' baby: 11-month-old boy has skin so fragile...
- 08:21 MSPs have ‘no confidence’ in Scottish Police Authority chairman
- 08:20 North East Bank Holiday weekend weather guide - here's all you need...
- 08:18 Former Greens leader backs Labour’s Ian Murray in Edinburgh South
- 08:18 General Election Poll: Conservatives’ lead over Labour falls
- 08:18 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:17 LIVE Hull City news and rumours as Marco Silva's departure is...
- 08:17 Asylum seekers at Australian-run detention centre told to leave or...
- 08:17 New night shelter for Grimsby's homeless 'will save lives'
- 08:17 Man arrested in connection with Manchester Arena bomb after raid
- 08:16 Arsenal v Chelsea: What time is FA Cup final kick-off? What TV...
- 08:16 Face of the last victim: Girl, 15, is pictured as it emerges her...