Care home fined £1.6million after resident, 91, froze to death in her room
A care home has been fined £1.6million after a woman froze to death while in her room.
Annie Barritt’s room was so cold that the temperature did not register on a standard thermometer when she was discovered by nurses.
Her body temperature was 25.3°C – hypothermia kicks in at 35°C, a court was told.
Judge Paul Batty QC said there had been ‘systematic, systemic failures’ at the home adding that when Mrs Barritt was brought into hospital ‘her body temperature was at a level barely compatible with human life’.
Mrs Barritt, who had dementia, had not been given any hot food or drink as she spent... read more
- 19:47 Scouting report: Should Arsenal try to seal transfer of West Ham’s...
- 19:46 Police appeal for witnesses after North East man dies in three...
- 19:44 Everton manager Ronald Koeman preparing for a January clear out as...
- 19:44 Eddie Jones demands more from England squad despite unbeaten year:...
- 19:44 Have you seen missing Boldon woman Ann Stewart?
- 19:44 Talented Harrogate woman in UK's Choir of the Year final
- 19:43 Cash raised in honour of Bethany
- 19:43 Ice rink is coming to town in just days!
- 19:40 VIDEO: Hundreds flock to town's Christmas festival
- 19:40 Arsenal 5 West Ham 1: Scintillating Sanchez stuns the Hammers at...
- 19:37 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal hits and misses: Alexis Sanchez unplayable as...
- 19:37 Tories accuse Labour over Article 50 debate amendment plan
- 19:36 Final journey home for Brazilian football team killed in Colombia...
- 19:34 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Alexis Sanchez nets 14-minute hat-trick as...
- 19:33 High Sheriff helps charity mark 25 years
- 19:31 Arsenal fans label Alexis Sanchez the ‘perfect player’ after...
- 19:31 West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez shine as...
- 19:29 BREAKING: Horror fire at warehouse nightclub leaves at least 40...
- 19:29 Stoke City keeper Jack Butland a cause for concern after latest...
- 19:26 Thierry Henry: Why Eden Hazard impressed me against Manchester City
- 19:25 Sweet treat for Hartlepool school’s support staff
- 19:25 Police appeal for witnesses after North East man dies in three...
- 19:22 Tamworth FC up to fourth as Briscoe double downs Altrincham
- 19:22 Eden Hazard: This was the key to Chelsea defeating Manchester City
- 19:19 Man knocked out by attacker in Corby
- 19:14 New sized bottle good for stocking filler
- 19:13 Driver, 93, dies after car hits tree
- 19:13 Have you seen missing Boldon woman Ann Stewart?
- 19:13 Caitlin jumping for joy with sponsors
- 19:11 Alan Shearer urges football abuse victims to come forward