Cannons, anchors and skull found during Portsmouth dredging
More than 20,000 items ranging from a human skull to shoes and sea mines have been discovered during dredging work in Portsmouth Harbour.
The work has been carried out to deepen and widen a four-mile (7km) channel to allow the the navy's new 65,000-tonne aircraft carriers to dock.
It also uncovered eight cannons, an aircraft engine and 36 anchors.
A German sea mine and five bombs uncovered caused major disruption to the area while each was made safe.
The devices, found on the seabed, were towed out to sea and detonated by the Royal Navy's Explosive Ordnance Disposal team.
The human skull... read more
- 13:46 London installs city benches that each absorb as much pollution as...
- 13:46 Miss Venezuela to close temporarily over corruption claims
- 13:46 How to get through studying at university if you have a mental illness
- 13:46 Austria recalls diplomat from Israel over Nazi shirt
- 13:46 Breakfast blueberry muffins could have as much sugar as a can of...
- 13:46 Metro plays Cupid: Fancy being set up on a date?
- 13:46 How much do people poo in their lives? Scientists provide a...
- 13:46 Woman shares photos of her beard to help others embrace their...
- 13:46 From creased earlobes to clubbed fingernails, the 6 unusual signs...
- 13:46 Cristiano Ronaldo and his Portugal team-mates step up their...
- 13:46 London Irish director of rugby Nick Kennedy leaves...
- 13:46 Generation Game returns for Easter treat
- 13:46 MK Dons sign midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker on loan until the end of...
- 13:46 Why voice search is the future and what you need to know about it
- 13:48 Review: Jersey Boys, Sunderland Empire until March 31
- 13:46 Glossier Brown is the Instagram making the cult beauty brand...
- 13:46 'I'd break him in half': Casemiro insists he won't fear injuring...
- 13:46 Trump era to inspire Edinburgh International Film Festival theme
- 13:46 Cynthia Nixon laughs at 'unqualified lesbian' dig
- 13:45 Five star hotel’s disgusting green swimming pool ‘made woman ill’
- 13:46 Nikolai Glushkov inquest adjourns pending further investigation
- 13:46 Carl Frampton to fight Nonito Donaire for WBO interim featherweight...
- 13:46 12 of the best bluebell woods in Scotland to visit this spring
- 13:46 My son was wrongly labelled as having special educational needs
- 13:45 Duchess carries out last duties before maternity leave
- 13:45 Glasgow fire in Sauchiehall Street sparks asbestos warning across city
- 13:46 TV shows are being mislabelled as Scottish to meet quotas, MSPs told
- 13:46 Rise in unauthorised pupil absences blamed on term-time holidays
- 13:45 ‘Possessed’ woman does yoga on edge of balcony while ‘high on flakka’
- 13:46 Lionel Messi scores sensational individual goal during Argentina...