CancerCare Counts: ‘When they found it the doctors said it had spread everywhere’
At the age of 14, Ruth Wawszczyk was diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer.
When the cause of her illness was discovered, she spent six weeks in hospital, and then six months on chemotherapy.
Like many others in the Lancaster area, Ruth and her family accessed services at CancerCare, which she said was as important for her parents as it was for her in moving forward with their lives.
Ruth, now aged 30 and living in London, attended St Bernadettes Primary School and Our Lady’s High School in Lancaster.
She currently works as a music therapist with children with special needs.
She said:... read more
- 03:41 Mesut Ozil to request Arsenal’s No.10 shirt after Jack Wilshere’s exit
- 03:31 Eureka turns training pitch for girls
- 02:45 Momentum chief Jon Lansman's 'run on pound' fear
- 02:39 BREAKING: Ex-South Korean Prime Minister Kim Jong-Pil has died
- 02:32 Is racism worsening Australia's China influence row?
- 02:32 Turkey's elections explained in 100 and 500 words
- 02:31 Ariana Grande boasts about size of Pete Davidson's manhood in...
- 02:31 Priyanka Chopra takes Nick Jonas to Mumbai! Actress wears racy...
- 02:31 Victoria Beckham flashes a glimpse of her bra under her semi-sheer...
- 02:31 Love Island: Dumped Rosie takes a swipe at Lauren Goodger following...
- 02:31 Ant McPartlin 'offers Lisa Armstrong their London home in a bid to...
- 02:31 Newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky's eight-year-old daughter suffers...
- 02:31 Meghan Trainor flashes cleavage and her giant engagement ring at...
- 02:18 Anthony Bourdain: Chef's mother plans memorial tattoo
- 02:14 Why many mums are better than one
- 02:05 Forced asset sales by banks destroying farmers' lives, Nationals...
- 02:04 When the going gets tough, the tough get mucky
- 01:50 North Korean propaganda changes its tune
- 01:33 Teens on 9-1 GCSEs: 'Everyone's worried about grade boundaries'
- 01:33 Meet Game of Thrones' woman of weapons
- 01:25 The Aquarius: Migrant taxi service or charitable rescuers?
- 01:23 Tom Richmond: Tories could pay dearly for their attitude to the North
- 01:22 Codebreaking Bombe moves to computer museum
- 01:21 Charity issues plea to parents as holidays end
- 01:21 Renting a way of life in hard-up Britain
- 01:14 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit crash landing fears. Airbus chief...
- 01:14 David Behrens: NHS needs to push the envelope on methods of...
- 01:14 Sir William Worsley: Trees must be at the heart of our...
- 01:09 Charing Cross evacuated as man on tracks claims to have a bomb
- 01:04 The Yorkshire Post says: Cricket’s new test. How to win over Asian...