Canal helped to transform Burnley into world’s greatest textile centre
Enthusiasts of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal took a trip back in time on Tuesday – exactly 200 years to the day since the first barge sailed through Burnley.
The event saw historic barge “Kennet” sail into Burnley Wharf at the Weavers’ Triangle where it was greeted by the Mayor of Burnley, Coun. Jeff Sumner and a brass band.
Such was the huge influence of the canal that most historians agree it helped shape the borough and establish Burnley at the centre of the world’s cotton weaving trade.
It, as much as any other historic event, helped make the town what it is today.
Mr Mike Clarke,... read more
- 20:42 Mum tells how son died of cancer 2 years after being diagnosed when...
- 20:42 The incredible things Marcus did before losing cancer fight -...
- 20:40 Demonic possession is REAL, says psychiatry professor who's spent...
- 20:40 A 'saboteur' in the ranks: Elon Musk says rogue Tesla employee...
- 20:37 Popular Harrogate restaurant to move location
- 20:37 'Minor explosion' closes London tube station
- 20:36 Man laughs and smirks as he kicks cat across field like a football
- 20:36 'Essentially summer camps': how the right is defending family...
- 20:36 Abandoned dog dumped on roadside after foot rotted away
- 20:36 Crete resort death: West Sussex man guilty of manslaughter
- 20:35 Cancer centre expansion delay
- 20:28 Capita awarded £500m MoD contract despite 'highest risk rating'
- 20:27 US 'to quit UN human rights council'
- 20:24 Queen Victoria marble portrait saved from export to tune of £1m
- 20:23 Liverpool's most polluted roads revealed
- 20:23 Police keen to speak to group of males on bikes after targeted...
- 20:23 MP vows ‘the Mack will rise again’ after devastating blaze
- 20:22 Man ‘told parents he would kill one and make the survivor...
- 20:21 Woman died after getting stuck in Pennal airing cupboard
- 20:21 Bakewell pudding sent to the edge of space goes missing
- 20:19 Donald Trump author Ann Coulter sparks outrage with 'child actor'...
- 20:19 Club promoter who killed schoolboy with single punch at Greek...
- 20:17 People who drink ‘live longer’ than those who don’t
- 20:16 UK summer barbecues threatened by shortage of carbon dioxide
- 20:15 West Brom reject bid for one striker - and continue discussions for...
- 20:07 Ex-Hull nightclub boss and luxury yacht designer Arthur Wilder...
- 20:06 Swadlincote man avoids immediate jail sentence after threats made...
- 20:06 Pregnant pause on baby leave proxy vote vexes MPs
- 20:04 Judge tells Workington man he will face prison
- 20:01 Donald Trump hugs American flag as he vows to launch new military...