Canada's new national bird is the gray jay
The gray jay has been named Canada's national bird after tens of thousands of votes were cast online, ruffling the feathers of some ornithologists.
Although Canada has no official bird, the Canadian goose has long been a part of the national identity.
So too has the common loon, which appears on the country's dollar coin, affectionately dubbed the "loonie".
But after a two-year search, the diminutive gray jay soared above its more famous feathered friends.
Beaver or Bear: Fur flies over Canadian sense of identity Witness: Smuggling endangered birds But the bird won't hold official... read more
- 08:11 UFC want half of Conor McGregor's purse if he fights Floyd...
- 08:10 Exclusive: Ed Sheeran moved to tears by Liberia trip
- 08:10 Mel B timed her divorce to Stephen Belafonte so she could hang onto...
- 08:10 Stephanie Davis shares very intimate photo of the moment baby son...
- 08:10 Live updates: Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood unmasked as...
- 08:09 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:08 Premier League stats: Top passers this season revealed with one...
- 08:08 Lewis Hamilton makes statement about world title in Australian...
- 08:07 A590 closed at Lindal tonight 8pm-6am but road fully reopens...
- 08:07 Former Cumbria chief constable to lead response to Westminster...
- 08:07 Green light for measures aimed at cutting Cartmel congestion
- 08:07 Inspectors visit Dalton zoo ahead of fresh licence application
- 08:07 Young Barrow woman's life cut short after battle with addiction
- 08:07 Hundreds turn out to say goodbye to Sunderland dad Lee Downey
- 08:07 Alliance Trust Savings returns to full-year profit
- 08:06 Author Bill Bryson names St Andrew’s Church in Whissendine as one...
- 08:06 Roosting pigeons leave St Mary’s Church in Stamford with £30,000...
- 08:06 Villages such as Measham to become 'meat in noisy sandwich' over...
- 08:06 Campaigners hit out at Florida Farm decision
- 08:06 Bank branch to close its doors in September
- 08:06 Number of child sex offences recorded in Derbyshire drops
- 08:05 ‘I’m not going to retire’ says Hartlepool TV star Jeff Stelling
- 08:05 Plans for 30 homes in village near Shrewsbury submitted
- 08:04 Sheffield ice hockey player to be sentenced for sex attacks on girls
- 08:04 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 Guest column: Shale gas application was a complex call for everyone
- 08:03 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:02 Real Madrid News: Star pair to Chelsea, new formation next term,...
- 08:01 John Edward: Is it time for all schools to have governors?
- 08:01 Reopen second Shrewsbury Railway Station entrance call