Canada approves giant LNG project on British Columbia coast
Canada has authorised the construction of an energy project that would see its liquefied natural gas (LNG) exported to emerging Asian markets.
The move comes despite concerns over the project's contribution to greenhouse gas emissions and the threat to an important salmon habitat.
The terminal, which will cost CA$11.4bn ($8.6bn/£6.6bn), will be built on British Columbia's northern coast.
It is one of the largest resource development initiatives in the country.
The federal government said it was granting permission to the Pacific Northwest LNG project to be built on Lelu Island, which sits... read more
- 10:33 Nazi grandma, 88, jailed for denying Holocaust and Auschwitz...
- 10:34 Storm Ophelia batters Merseyside leaving trail of destruction
- 10:33 Newborn baby among 39 killed as wildfires ravage Portugal and Spain
- 10:33 BBC Weather: Louise Minchin fears for Ireland reporter amid Ophelia...
- 10:33 Witness appeal after teenagers assaulted outside Abbey Fields by...
- 10:33 Man airlifted to hospital after falling off cliff
- 10:33 Couple caught on CCTV having sex in Domino’s face jail
- 10:32 Michael Owen’s Champions League predictions, including Liverpool,...
- 10:31 Tries aplenty as Berwick continue good run of form
- 10:31 Storm hits north Northumberland
- 10:31 Fuel prices cut at Morrisons store
- 10:30 Security guard 'hit over the head' and robbed at resort supermarket
- 10:30 How to give away money now to beat inheritance tax and keep some...
- 10:30 Parents warned over 'sick' 48-hour Facebook 'missing game' challenge
- 10:29 NHS doctors to be FORCED to ask patients their sexual preference
- 10:29 Real Madrid have two conditions to let Gareth Bale leave for...
- 10:29 Man in custody after alleged attempted armed robbery at Jesmond's...
- 10:29 Witness appeal after teenagers assaulted outside Abbey Fields by...
- 10:28 Cum tributes: the semen trend that you should know about
- 10:27 Hospital radio station on lookout for volunteers
- 10:27 RUMOUR MILL: Real Madrid planning £150m swoop for Harry Kane, while...
- 10:27 Families warned: Mortgage interest rates set to RISE as inflation...
- 10:26 Ask the pharmacist: My father has recently been prescribed...
- 10:26 Oddfellows events put spotlight on friendship
- 10:26 CCTV appeal after theft of moped from railway station
- 10:26 Upset after guide dog is turned away by pub
- 10:25 Inflation hits FIVE YEAR high of 3% with wages failing to keep up...
- 10:25 Five vehicle crash on busy Notts road
- 10:25 Burton Albion's on-loan players learn FA Cup first-round fate
- 10:25 Police cadets helped out at Goosnargh jumble sale