Can YOU tell when your child is lying? Researchers find parents can only spot a fib 54% of the time
It is bad news for parents - adults are far worse at telling when a child is lying than thought, researchers have found.
In fact, you may as well guess, they concluded.
Researchers discovered on average adults were able to distinguish truth from lies 54 per cent of the time, making them only slightly more successful than chance.
Scroll down for video
The major new study into children and lying builds on previous studies that have shown that children learn to lie from the age of two.
The University of California, Irvine, team analysed the results of 45 experiments into detecting deception... read more
- 09:47 Capital’s Sigma extends Countryside deal
- 09:47 Lord Hague joins call for cannabis reform in wake of epilepsy...
- 09:47 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:47 Air Ambulance called to Preston garage after 'car falls on man'
- 09:47 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:45 Burglary at York farm shop: Police release CCTV image of suspect
- 09:45 Union back on picket line as train strike hits Wigan
- 09:45 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:44 Booze-fuelled school-run mum narrowly escapes prison sentence after...
- 09:44 Teenage boy stabbed outside Sheffield pub
- 09:44 Chelsea transfer news: Sven Goran Eriksson reveals Roman Abramovich...
- 09:43 Vehicle blaze closes M62 near Leeds
- 09:42 OPINION: Kane world class as England dig deep in adversity to win...
- 09:42 Accident reported on A38 at Claymills - updates
- 09:42 Rugby man kept searching and downloading indecent images of...
- 09:41 Caravan camp appears on Stray in Harrogate
- 09:41 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:41 The headteacher column with Kris Henderson
- 09:41 Police bosses warn Brexit failure could hit fight against crime
- 09:41 Royal Ascot dress code, weather forecast, race times and when is...
- 09:40 Cash stolen after thieves break into neighbouring shops in Corby
- 09:40 Royal Border Bridge turning blue to mark NHS’s 70th birthday
- 09:38 Championship transfers: PSG want Middlesbrough man | Leeds bid...
- 09:38 Hartlepool United linked with swoop for non-league hotshot
- 09:38 Harrogate Hospital's Emergency Department moved for temporary works
- 09:37 Lincs ECB Premier: Louth CC First XI secure vital win against...
- 09:36 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:35 Booze-fuelled school-run mum narrowly escapes prison sentence after...
- 09:35 Burnley street gripped by World Cup fever
- 09:35 Counter demonstration against Local Plan protest ahead of council...