Can YOU spot the difference between quotes from a 'lads mag' and a convicted rapist? Study reveals how ‘locker room talk’ has been normalised
While they may claim to be harmless fun, sexist jokes in lads' mags are not dissimilar to comments about women made by convicted rapists.
This is according to a new study, which presented male university students with a series of remarks about women, some made by rapists about women and others from lads' mags.
The students were unable to tell the difference between statements.
LADS' MAG JOKE OR RAPIST'S COMMENT? Some of the comments involved in the study included:
'The possibility of murder does bring a certain frisson to the bedroom.'
'You do not want to be caught red-handed … go and... read more
- 08:45 Telford council tax rise ‘will save authority £235,000’
- 08:45 Novak Djokovic conqueror Denis Istomin out after injury woe as...
- 08:45 Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure urges Raheem Sterling to take...
- 08:45 Cumbria's success at national field trialling championships
- 08:44 May poised to unveil £556m boost for North
- 08:43 Missing South Yorkshire teenager found safe and well
- 08:43 Two teenage inmates found dead at Polmont Young Offender's Institute
- 08:41 Trump's election win costs Paddy Power Betfair £5m
- 08:41 Freezing fog in Burton and South Derbyshire causing difficult...
- 08:39 Roadworks on the A1 and A19 in the North East
- 08:39 Yellowstone webcam captures ‘family of six Bigfoot’ shuffling out...
- 08:38 Sainsbury's chairman reprimanded for using staff on country home
- 08:38 Tesco recalls ready meal over health concerns
- 08:38 JOHN DILLEY’S WWI BLOG: Loving father held the hand of his dying son
- 08:36 Roasting and frying stachy foods could increase cancer risk, warns...
- 08:36 Vodafone roll out 4G in another pocket of Cumbria
- 08:35 Where is BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2017 being held?
- 08:35 Hull City news and rumours LIVE - Ryan Mason updates and Tigers...
- 08:35 Aston Villa: Tony Xia brilliantly trolls transfer-hungry fans
- 08:34 Father pictured risking child’s life by walking on frozen lake
- 08:33 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Why anorexia has no respect for age
- 08:33 HEALTH NOTES: I'm knocked out by boxercise, says Julia Bradbury
- 08:33 Poulton couple saved from 'nasty and toxic' blaze by fire doors
- 08:33 E-cigarettes are getting non-smoking teens hooked on nicotine:...
- 08:32 Super snowdrop show
- 08:32 Record-breaking year for outlet
- 08:31 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:31 ‘The world is watching’ US spies claim Trump’s ties to Russia could...
- 08:30 Pundit: This is impressing me most about Chelsea under Antonio Conte
- 08:30 European shares weighed down by banks, Essentra warning; Generali...