Campaign for Scunthorpe steelworks to provide steel for HS2 rail link
The Community trade union is heading a campaign to bring to the Scunthorpe British Steel works a contract to supply two millions tonnes of steel to help build the 330-mile High Speed 2 rail link, between London and The Midlands and the North.
It is understood that least 12 foreign firms are bidding for a share in the £56 billion scheme, which starts next year..
But the Scunthorpe steel industry's biggest union is keen to avoid a repeat of work on building Britain's new fleet of Trident submarines when the French were awarded the contract to supply the steel.
More: Travellers spotted in... read more
- 10:25 Pools axe Dave Jones and turn to ‘Fab Four’ to save League status
- 10:25 Hartlepool United confirm Dave Jones' departure as club battle for...
- 10:25 Appeal to find bike stolen in Morecambe
- 10:24 Tumble drier sparks house blaze
- 10:24 School kids could meet Barack Obama in Edinburgh as they compete...
- 10:23 Liverpool's dire record against the Premier League's bottom-half...
- 10:23 Annie Fanny, Nic Dakin and other Scunthorpe runners smash London...
- 10:23 Fire crew called out to road traffic collision
- 10:23 EXCLUSIVE: Chesterfield Hotel is sold
- 10:22 Banks boost FTSE as French election ignites risk-on rally
- 10:22 Lionel Messi uses the wonders of technology so Neymar can take part...
- 10:22 8 things you need to know about Saint George’s Day
- 10:22 Obesity ‘causes more deaths than smoking’
- 10:22 Eyes to the future following sad loss
- 10:22 Fears over bed blocking as delayed discharges double
- 10:22 Students are shown the horrors of the Holocaust
- 10:21 Emmerdale horror attack, EastEnders newcomer, Coronation Street...
- 10:21 VIDEO: As Red Arrows return to Doncaster, watch amazing vintage...
- 10:21 Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom bump into each other at mutual...
- 10:21 Franchising model is a well-trodden path to success
- 10:20 Albert Einstein and secretary in steamy sex session for new series...
- 10:20 Fire crews called out to tree and car fires in Leamington
- 10:20 Great Australian photographs: Max Dupain's Sunbaker – an audio essay
- 10:20 Eyes down for bingo boost
- 10:20 Plans for new resort school go on display
- 10:19 Jamie Redknapp’s XI of the week: Four Chelsea stars feature, Wayne...
- 10:19 Derby's Gogglebox star Baasit Siddique to start Ramathon 2017
- 10:19 Sergio Aguero: See Man City star’s special boots for derby clash...
- 10:19 Mum finds Pandora bracelet in Barrow - can you help reunite it with...
- 10:18 Psychosis risk from using drug cannabis LOWER than first thought