California's gridlocked roads could produce POWER: $2m project will use crystals to harvest electricity from passing cars
All those cars on California's famously gridlocked highways could be doing more than just using energy - they could be producing it.
The California Energy Commission is investing $2 million to study whether piezoelectric crystals can be used to produce electricity from the mechanical energy created by vehicles driving on roads.
The commission is in the process of choosing a company or university to take on small-scale field tests.
It will study how the small crystals, which generate energy when compressed, could produce electricity for the grid if installed under asphalt.
HOW IT WILL WORK ... read more
- 09:10 How well do you know your road signs?
- 09:08 Chelsea Clinton: ‘I’ve had vitriol flung at me for as long as I can...
- 09:08 Woman escapes safely after car catches fire on A590
- 09:08 University of Southern California president quits in gynaecology...
- 09:07 Meet the volunteers of the scenic Keighley & Worth Valley Railway
- 09:07 The artist 'beguiled' by a Yorkshire forest
- 09:07 Doncaster's 'eighth wonder of the world': The house made of sand...
- 09:07 How well do you know your road signs?
- 09:06 Conservatives call for ‘simpler’ parking policy in Sunderland with...
- 09:04 Music review: Nina Nesbitt
- 09:04 Music review: Sparks
- 09:04 Music review: Echo & the Bunnymen
- 09:04 Comedy review: Tim Vine: Sunset Milk Idiot
- 09:04 Theatre review: Sunshine on Leith
- 09:02 7 interior design tips for when your home is the size of a shoebox
- 09:01 Irish abortion referendum: exit polls predict landslide for yes as...
- 08:59 Leamington man on the home stretch for his 56 challenges
- 08:56 UPDATE: M6 closed after smash
- 08:55 Liverpool star Mohamed Salah deserves Ballon d'Or over Cristiano...
- 08:49 UPDATE: M6 closed after smash
- 08:48 Hunt for Audi A3 driver who sped off after fatal crash that left...
- 08:45 James Milner stuns Liverpool team-mates with wondergoal ahead of...
- 08:41 M6 closed after smash
- 08:40 Royal visitor to Banbury chocolate plant
- 08:34 No, having BPD doesn’t make you a bad partner
- 08:34 Liverpool hero reveals how Real Madrid already have upper hand in...
- 08:33 Could Britain’s top tradesperson be from our area?
- 08:28 My secret life as a student Nightline volunteer
- 08:24 WEATHER: A misty and breezy but warm day for Nottinghamshire
- 08:24 A stunning Cornish cove has gone on sale for £2.6 million