Calais Jungle migrants facing months-long prison sentence for ‘illegal hawking’
Ten illegal immigrants, who all run unlicensed food stalls and corner shops in the sordid ‘Jungle’ camp, face spending time behind bars and may also have to pay a €150 (£132) fine.
An eleventh hawker was arrested but has since been discharged.
Back in July, local authorities ransacked all of the makeshift shops operating in the Calais ‘Jungle’: 18 migrants were remanded in custody after it was found that they had been buying and selling goods illegally.
The migrants were accused of selling mobile phones, fizzy drinks, ready-made meals, and canned food to other refugees.
One of the... read more
- 10:15 Coventry thug among gang jailed for 80 years over terrifying armed...
- 10:14 EU to unveil plans to snatch UK-based Euro agencies back from London
- 10:14 What war? Kim Jong-un says North Korea loves peace ‘more than...
- 10:14 'Britain has BREXIT ILLUSIONS' Merkel says UK will be stripped of...
- 10:14 Recovery operation for man who went into the water at Glasson Dock
- 10:14 Little Bare pub proves big hit with locals
- 10:14 Suicidal woman’s touching letter to police after they saved her life
- 10:13 A1 closed in Lincolnshire after Audi crash - 2-mile tailbacks
- 10:12 Film reviews: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 | The Promise | Lady...
- 10:12 Sheffield girls’ school scoops ‘BiG’ prize at City Enterprise Awards
- 10:11 Barcelona set to scupper Real Madrid's Man United plan with new...
- 10:11 Woman questioned by detectives after man dies in Leeds house fire
- 10:10 Ireland desperate for Brexit details to call EU negotiator Barnier...
- 10:09 Radio 1 apology over Orlando Bloom 'pikey' comment
- 10:09 Police hunt driver 'who sped off' following serious accident
- 10:08 Leamington pub will be reopened and renamed Old Library after...
- 10:08 Woman questioned by detectives after man dies in Leeds house fire
- 10:08 United Airlines to give passengers $10,000 if they have to be...
- 10:08 Palestinian Authority halts its payments for Israeli electricity...
- 10:08 Kate Garraway left red-faced after branding Susanna Reid a DOG in...
- 10:07 Hoppers appoint Arnold as head coach
- 10:07 How do you pronounce chorizo? Masterchef viewers left angered over...
- 10:07 Browne: We’re no beach boys
- 10:07 PNE kids given chance to shine
- 10:07 Egypt 'let down' by continued UK flight ban to Sharm
- 10:07 Tamworth sisters leap into fund-raising with charity skydive for...
- 10:07 How much money does the UK pay to the EU?
- 10:06 Boris Johnson blasts 'mutton-headed old mugwump' Jeremy Corbyn
- 10:06 Boris Johnson attacks Jeremy Corbyn and calls him a 'mugwump'
- 10:06 Doncaster airport boss "caught out on Facebook" cleared of bigamy