Calais Jungle: Aid groups ask French court to delay demolition
Aid groups have asked a French court to delay the closure of the Calais migrant camp, the "Jungle", arguing authorities are not ready to relocate refugees.
The request was filed in Lille and a ruling is expected in 48 hours.
French President Francois Hollande wants to close the Jungle and move the estimated 9,000 migrants it holds to reception centres across France.
The Jungle has become a powerful symbol of Europe's failure to cope with African and Middle Eastern refugees.
The migrants there live amid squalid conditions, many of them hoping to enter the UK illegally by hiding on... read more
- 13:00 Theresa May ‘must get Trump to reverse media ban’
- 12:59 Peep show! Ariel Winter puts her cleavage on display in plunging...
- 12:59 'You were b****y brilliant!': Scarlett Moffatt leaves viewers 'in...
- 12:59 Lily Collins cuts a sophisticated figure in an off-the-shoulder top...
- 12:59 Swindon Town captain burgled while leading side to Coventry City win
- 12:58 Pope Francis reversed decisions to kick paedophiles out of...
- 12:57 North Shields mum accused of bringing drugs into HMP Northumberland...
- 12:56 Manchester United vs Southampton LIVE score and goal updates from...
- 12:56 Arsenal and Man City target will cost £59m: Real Madrid and...
- 12:56 Video of Yakubu doing absolutely nothing for two-and-a-half minutes...
- 12:56 West Ham hopeful Andy Carroll will be fit for Chelsea clash in...
- 12:56 Jurgen Klopp hails Adam Lallana's growing influence after Liverpool...
- 12:55 Council wants partner to build new driving range in Bulwell
- 12:55 Villagers struggling to cope around railway station with no car park
- 12:55 Birmingham City: Paul Caddis has found himself a new club
- 12:54 Watch: Dramatic moment axeman is Tasered by cops outside Bullring
- 12:53 Police appeal after dogs found on busy A16
- 12:51 Tottenham still 10 years behind rivals Arsenal, says Martin Keown
- 12:51 CCTV PICTURES: Break in at Buxton Barbers
- 12:50 Costa may be quitting its Bangor High Street shop
- 12:50 Labour rallies around Corbyn after Copeland fallout
- 12:50 VOTE: Your favourite fillings for Pancake Day
- 12:50 Council delays decision on enforcing grave kerb rules
- 12:48 Jose Mourinho opens up on his Chelsea sacking: I thought it was big...
- 12:47 Inside story on award-winning cottage near Whitby
- 12:46 Leicester City target Roberto Mancini appears unfazed by potential...
- 12:46 VOTE: Your favourite fillings for Pancake Day
- 12:46 COLUMN: Digital world opens door to crime
- 12:46 Derbyshire still high risk area for bird flu
- 12:46 'I love the beard' Celtic-daft Jay Beatty enjoys superstar meeting...