News from Business
Rise in fraud 'super cases' means total value of scams which reached UK Courts tipped over £1bn last year
A huge surge in cybercrime helped the total value of fraud that reached UK Courts last year rise above the £1billion mark for the first time since 2011 amid concerns a slowdown in the economy will put businesses and individuals at more risk, a new report
BT shares have tanked after the telecoms giant announced a £530million hit from the fallout of accounting irregularities at its Italian division. An investigation into what went on at its Italian arm revealed improper accounting practices and a 'complex
New towns' decade of house price rises: Average property has gone up by 32% to be valued at £229,000
House price growth in Britain's new towns has outperformed the national average over the past decade, a report has found. Milton Keynes, which is celebrating its 50th birthday, was identified as the best-performing new town for property price growth over
A planned EU-Canada free-trade deal moved closer to reality on Tuesday after a key committee advised the European Parliament to give its backing after months of protests and heated debate. The EU-Canada Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) i
U.S. online retailer Amazon (AMZN.O) has offered to drop some clauses from its e-book deals with publishers in a bid to end an EU antitrust investigation and stave off a possible fine, a person familiar with the matter said on Tuesday. The proposal means
Sterling was down by as much as 0.5 per cent against the US currency to 1.24, after yesterday hitting a one-month high against the dollar, before taking losses back to around 0.4 per cent. The pound was also falling against the euro, as Britain's top jud
Sterling fell and London's FTSE 100 index rose on Tuesday after Britain's supreme court ruled the government must legislate through parliament to trigger the start of talks on leaving the European Union. The pound traded higher as the first parts of the
British low-cost airline easyJet said the weaker pound and higher fuel prices would hit profit more than expected this year, sending its shares as much as 8 percent lower on Tuesday. EasyJet, Europe's No.2 no-frills carrier behind Ryanair, and rival airl
Government borrowing fell by £0.4bn in December to £6.9bn, compared with 2015. The figures, from the Office for National Statistics, means borrowing for the year is £63.8bn, £10.6bn lower than for the same period a year ago. The last Autumn Statement ind
British Gas Business will pay a penalty of £9.5m after its customers suffered billing and complaints issues, the energy regulator has said. Accurate bills were not issued on time to business customers after the provider put in a new £40m computer system
Forman, who is overseeing a strategic review of the FTSE 250 company after joining from industrial thread maker Coats, blamed “self-inflicted” problems, including poor integration of acquisitions which have increased costs. Essentra blamed its health and
Shares in the £7billion betting heavyweight reversed 380p to 8295p, making it the biggest FTSE 100 faller, as it admitted taking a £40million hit from customer-friendly results in the final three months of 2016. Trump’s unexpected victory in the US Presi
Money Pit Stop: I'm a retiring fireman who has built up £152k in investments and £183k in cash, can I get a...
In our series Money Pit Stop, we ask an investing expert to give one of our readers a free portfolio makeover. This week, a 60-year-old fireman and former postman, who has built up a healthy portfolio, with £152,000 in investments, £183,000 in cash and
South Korea's LG Electronics Inc reported on Tuesday a 2016 operating profit of 1.34 trillion won ($1.15 billion), up 12 percent from the previous year. In the fourth quarter, the company swung to an operating loss of 35 billion won, according to Reuters
Japan's Toshiba Corp said it will unveil the extent of the writedown on its U.S. nuclear business on Feb. 14 when it reports its results for the quarter ended Dec. 31. The laptops-to-engineering conglomerate, still recovering from a $1.3 billion (1.04 bi
- 11:19 Man who buys Windows 98-era laptop for $5 finds a Star Trek...
- 11:18 More passengers dissatisfied with railway service
- 11:18 Pigeon Man vows to continue feeding birds despite threat of jail
- 11:17 Tesco accused of ripping off customers after toilet rolls appear to...
- 11:16 Men win the battle of the taxes, says HMRC
- 11:16 Government loses Brexit Supreme Court battle over power to trigger...
- 11:16 Funding for housing
- 11:16 Public invited to Lincs East CCG Meeting in Woodhall Spa this Thursday
- 11:16 Myton School receive top award for their library
- 11:16 Kenilworth pair cook for world’s best chefs in France
- 11:16 Robert Fuller: Bounty for birds from wildlife friendly farming
- 11:16 Speeding fines are set to ROCKET to a week's wages
- 11:16 Social media users help capture fox injured by illegal trap in York
- 11:16 Irish town plagued with phone calls to Babestation chatline
- 11:16 Handsworth bus murder: Police release description of knife killer
- 11:16 10 wedding trends that will be everywhere in 2017
- 11:16 It doesn’t look likely that McDonald’s will bring all-day breakfast...
- 11:15 Simply the best: The top 30 players in the Premier League confirmed...
- 11:14 Joel Matip update: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp finally ready to...
- 11:14 YouTuber becomes internet sensation as she promises sex show if she...
- 11:13 How did the filming of a music video end in tragedy?
- 11:13 Public invited to Lincs East CCG Meeting in Woodhall Spa this Thursday
- 11:13 People are genuinely concerned for Melania’s welfare following...
- 11:13 Why you shouldn’t secretly take a stranger’s photo and post it online
- 11:12 Will petrol prices in Derby keep on soaring?
- 11:12 Did you know you're living in a FOG CLOUD in Derby right now?
- 11:12 Social care gets £1m boost
- 11:12 Driving test changes due to affect Burton and South Derbyshire...
- 11:12 Manchester United, Liverpool and Chelsea in competition to sign...
- 11:12 Five stats that prove Alexis Sanchez is Arsenal's only hope of success