Business rate rise 'to hit BT bills'
Consumers and businesses are facing higher media bills after the government's new "rateable values" increased BT's business rates fourfold.
The Valuation Office Agency has proposed new rates for companies in England and Wales from 1 April 2017.
BT's annual rates bill for England and Wales will climb from £165m to £743m.
"It is highly likely that an increase of this size would lead to higher prices for consumers and businesses," the telecoms giant said.
"We are extremely disappointed by the new rateable values that have been published today and which are clearly... read more
- 08:50 Bolton and Wicks lead Stratford AC’s herculean marathon efforts
- 08:50 Scarborough pals' backpacking video goes viral
- 08:50 Chelsea transfer news: £65m for Koulibaly amid Alonso exit fears
- 08:50 Dog rescued from canal in Radford Semele
- 08:49 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:48 West Cumbria roads blocked due to crash
- 08:47 Recommending e-cigarettes to help smokers quit is irresponsible...
- 08:47 Things to do in Birmingham on May Bank Holiday weekend
- 08:47 Donald Trump thanks Kanye West after rapper expresses 'love' for...
- 08:47 West Brom transfer rumour: Italian interest in Nacer Chadli
- 08:46 TSB drafts in outside help to fix IT chaos
- 08:44 Police set to target illegal parking at Derbyshire beauty spot as...
- 08:44 Diego Simeone names the Arsenal star he fears most ahead of Europa...
- 08:43 Prince Alexander now favourite in William and Kate’s baby name odds
- 08:43 Labour drops candidate who doubts Manchester and Jo Cox tragedies...
- 08:43 WATCH: Deontay Wilder offers Anthony Joshua £35m for unification...
- 08:43 Real Madrid star makes BIZARRE claim about Barcelona fans favourite
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: All your latest morning news
- 08:42 ALERT: Anti-freeze being used to poison pets in this Sheffield suburb
- 08:42 VIDEO: Greggs opens TODAY at Sheffield's newest retail park - and...
- 08:40 Double call out after concerns for people on wrong side of railings...
- 08:40 Supply problems for Sunderland homes and traffic disruption after...
- 08:40 Banbury campaigners hit out at ‘secret’ health planning group
- 08:40 Sunderland counts £844,000
- 08:40 Northern Lights: Our future needs Chinese as well as British...
- 08:39 Sheffield-based animal rescue in crisis and could close
- 08:39 ALERT: Anti-freeze being used to poison pets in this Sheffield suburb
- 08:39 Durham coach looking forward to seeing Aiden Markram show his talents
- 08:39 Epic sounding Manchester band kicking off tour in Leeds
- 08:38 West Cumbria road blocked due to crash