Bury still waiting for £2.6m from government to repair damage after Boxing Day floods
A Greater Manchester town is still waiting for £2.6m to repair the damage caused by the horrific Boxing Day floods.
Bury council has only received £750,000 from the government to carry out infrastructure repairs following the catastrophe on December 26.
Bosses are now demanding ministers put their hands in their pockets and give them the rest of the cash needed.
Town hall chiefs say some £3.4m worth of damage was done after more than a month’s worth of rain fell on the region in just a few hours.
Greater Manchester was battered by Storm Eva for 36 hours. It led to the worst flooding in the... read more
- 08:31 Fines handed to motorists outside school after Doncaster crackdown...
- 08:30 Strike action begins at Wigan hospital sites
- 08:30 What Arsenal can expect from their new manager Unai Emery
- 08:29 Council’s budget has been cut by £13m in five years
- 08:28 Farm helps to combat loneliness
- 08:28 Antiques experts visit centre
- 08:28 Brian is added to Walk of Fame for his charity efforts
- 08:28 Home sweet home for brewing firm
- 08:27 Arsenal transfer news: will Mesut Ozil fit into Unai Emery’s master...
- 08:26 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:26 Fears 14-year-olds could be targeted in Victoria's...
- 08:26 Trump set to head to Scotland for golf during state visit
- 08:25 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:24 Harden's 30 help Rockets even series with Warriors at two games apiece
- 08:24 Australian gymnasts and staff to be trained to identify child abuse
- 08:24 Stolen car being hunted by Cumbria Police
- 08:23 Liverpool star should be LEFT OUT of Champions League final even if...
- 08:23 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:23 World Cup 2018: England squad snapped training for first time with...
- 08:20 Nearly twice as many over-65s in employment than a decade ago,...
- 08:20 Board members at NHS Tayside to be tested for skills and experience...
- 08:20 Caglar Soyuncu suggests Arsenal transfer could be finalised within...
- 08:20 Mikel Arteta told he can replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City
- 08:18 Two men stand trial charged with kidnap and rape during alleged...
- 08:17 Brian Monteith: Why SNP’s bid to restart independence debate is a joke
- 08:16 Brighouse crash involving stolen car leads to four arrests
- 08:16 Liverpool target Christian Pulisic opens up on Anfield transfer...
- 08:16 Arsenal news: Mikel Arteta ‘shocked’ after learning fate following...
- 08:15 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:14 Police investigation after man dies at engineering factory