Burundi's vote to withdraw from war crimes court stirs concern in The Hague
Burundi's parliamentary vote last week to leave the International Criminal Court poses "a setback in the fight against impunity," the court's governing body said on Tuesday.
Burundi's parliament voted overwhelmingly on Oct. 12 to withdraw from Rome Statute, the 1998 treaty establishing the global court, which would make it the first country to quit.
The head of the ICC's governing body, Sidiki Kaba, said he was concerned that would undermine "efforts towards the objective of universality" and called on Burundi to "engage in a dialogue”.
The ICC, which opened in July... read more
- 09:14 Ex-police chief behind Yorkshire Ripper study dies at 92
- 09:12 WEEKEND WEB: Two events raise cash for sports pavilion in 2000
- 09:09 China’s great leap forward in science
- 09:07 Donald Trump blames the FBI for not doing enough to stop Florida...
- 09:07 British charity backed by Meghan Markle denies staff sexually...
- 09:07 Special announcement: Thomas the Tank Engine is arriving in Carlisle
- 09:07 Donna Air confirms split from James Middleton revealing they...
- 09:06 Shocking images after car ploughs into garden wall
- 09:06 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:06 Kirklees student Haroon among the best in UK
- 09:04 IPL 2018 salaries: How much are Kohli, Dhoni and Smith paid? Which...
- 09:04 Winter Olympics 2018: Team GB curler Eve Muirhead makes revelation...
- 09:03 Sexual ‘exploitation’ warning to driving instructors
- 09:03 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:02 Jon Venables 'has secret girlfriend who knows he murdered James...
- 09:02 Meghan Markle 'fears royal life and is feeling constrained by...
- 09:02 Manchester United players shocked as Jose Mourinho launches furious...
- 09:00 Many reasons to celebrate for Middleton Cheney church
- 08:59 How about having a magical marble mirror cake for breakfast?
- 08:57 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:56 Motorway driving offences that could land you with HUGE fines – and...
- 08:56 Manchester United player ratings: How did Lukaku, Sanchez and co do...
- 08:56 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 08:54 Huge surge in interest for company’s trees
- 08:49 Range of changes at organisation
- 08:49 Children’s author promoting region
- 08:48 RISE AND SHINE: Your morning news round up
- 08:47 Police investigation underway after 'deliberate' garden fire...
- 08:46 Noticeboards considered by Berwick Town Council
- 08:46 Ikea is set to launch a vegan hot dog later this year