Bumblebees ‘feel happy emotions when they have a bit of sugar’
You know how bumblebees sometimes seem really happy? It’s because they are.
Scientists have found that bees really do get a ‘happy’ buzz after sipping sugary nectar from flowers, which is why they look so upbeat.
While researchers couldn’t actually ask bees how they felt, they were able to look for signs of positive or negative emotion in their decision making or behaviour.
Previous studies have found that bees will be more pessimistic when foraging if they happen to be stressed out by something. So if they’re happy, logic would dictate, they must make more optimistic decisions.
Clint... read more
- 08:59 12 top tips from Derbyshire fire service on staying safe over...
- 08:58 Liverpool striker Divock Origi reveals he rejected Manchester...
- 08:57 How to cure a cold and other winter bugs without leaving your home
- 08:57 Which area of Hull uses A&E for minor injuries the most?
- 08:53 FESTIVE BONANZA DAY 13: WIN! A £50 Vickerstown Interiors voucher,...
- 08:53 Ulverston PCSO issues warning to drivers over email scam
- 08:53 Confusion as Holbeach pub ‘closes’ its doors
- 08:52 Search is on for the top accountants
- 08:52 Rachael helps set the scene for play
- 08:47 DR MAX: It makes my blood boil, the Muslim wives we doctors just...
- 08:46 BREAKING: Train derails and explodes into flames in Bulgaria,...
- 08:45 11 of the most bizarre yoga classes to have come out of 2016
- 08:44 Missing father Stephen Woolley's car is found
- 08:43 Burnley travel guru helps HQ to business award
- 08:39 QUICK QUIZ: Test your news knowledge
- 08:39 Men jailed for shoplifting in Buxton
- 08:39 A big cheer from Melton for Make It Happen 2016
- 08:37 What’s on in Derbyshire this weekend?
- 08:37 QUICK QUIZ: Test your news knowledge
- 08:33 Oil platforms could be left in the North Sea
- 08:31 This Chelsea ace is so good it's like having an extra player out...
- 08:27 Aga cooker sparks city centre house fire
- 08:27 Man goes missing from Nottinghamshire village
- 08:26 Elliot ready to return after nine months out
- 08:25 Students rise to the challenge at RAF base
- 08:25 Arsenal and Manchester United target Dimitri Payet available for...
- 08:24 ‘Bridlington is an amazing place with a lot to offer’
- 08:22 Four killed after train derails and explodes in Bulgaria
- 08:21 Grantham Journal column: We’re pushing to get new complex built
- 08:19 PHOTOS: Banbury Santas run for hospice